Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a socket 370 motherboard. I was looking on Ebay and noticed that there were Dell motherboards, but the ports were very different and it looked like it would need a special i/o shield. Are i/o shields generally standard? I used to have an Abit BF6 so what type of i/o shield do I have? Will an asus CUV4X-C fit with the i/o shield that I was using with the Abit board? Will an Intel "Fedora" D815EEA board fit with this i/o shield as well?

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/aa.htm

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d815eea/

Thanks

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
For those reading this who don't know, the I/O shield is a very thin rectangular piece of chromed metal, with punchouts around the various connectors on the back panel. Its purpose is to keep static discharge and dust out, and RFI and cooling air in, while also giving a place to emboss some simple port labels. The outside dimensions of the I/O shield, and its construction details such as the nubs that secure it in place, are standard. But location of the punchouts are specific to the mobo.

With a new mobo, an I/O shield should come with it. With a mobo off Ebay, you may need to email the seller to find out if a shield is included. The seller might not have thought of that.

If you reuse your case, I think you usually remove and throw out (or stash away) the old I/O shield and replace it with a new one that matches the mobo. If I read you right, you're wanting to know if your old shield will fit a short list of possible used mobo's off Ebay in case they are missing their shield.

Well there are some common configs, and a select few shields are available in stores, but for a real answer you'll need to download the MB-sized installation manual for each mobo you're interested in, and do your own visual comparisons of their back panels, to judge which ones are probably the same. Even then it might be wrong: what looks the same in print might actually be a few millimeters off.

BTW I would not base a mobo purchase decision on this detail. Seems you can always write to the mfg., pay a couple bucks, and have them send you a shield from replacement parts.

Does this answer your question?

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
usually the mobo comes with a I/O

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you answered my question. But I have a followup question. Is it okay to run a board without an i/o shield if for example I want to get the board up and running but then need to wait for the manufacturer to send me an i/o shield? I am worried about static.

·
Registered
207 Posts
trueblue said:
I need to buy a socket 370 motherboard. I was looking on Ebay and noticed that there were Dell motherboards, but the ports were very different and it looked like it would need a special i/o shield. Are i/o shields generally standard? I used to have an Abit BF6 so what type of i/o shield do I have? Will an asus CUV4X-C fit with the i/o shield that I was using with the Abit board? Will an Intel "Fedora" D815EEA board fit with this i/o shield as well?

Thanks
Are you using a Dell case and power supply with that motherboard? I ask because my last computer was a Dell. I found out the hard way that Dell uses a non-standard case, motherboard, and power supply in their systems. One part will not work without the other two. The only exception being with the motherboard/power supply. There is an adapter that allows you to connect a standard power supply to a Dell motherboard. The only place I have been able to find them is at http://www.quitepc.com. Hope this helps.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I want to get the board up and running but then need to wait for the manufacturer to send me an i/o shield? I am worried about static.
You are right to be concerned about static, but providing you attach the shield once it comes in instead of procrastinating that task, and are careful not to build up a lot of static when you're around the PC, you should be OK for a couple weeks. The real issue there is going to be the difficulty of unfastening the entire mobo to fit the shield in, then putting it all back. If that task doesn't bother you, great! Otherwise, or if static worries you a lot, wait to start the build until you get the shield.

If you're pretty sure you'll get the Ebay mobo, go ahead and order the matching part now, and by the time the mobo arrives from the seller, maybe you'll have both.

Me, during my build I securely taped a piece of wire to a nearby cold water pipe, ran it over to my work area, and clamped the end to my PC case while I had it open but before I had it powered up. I also touched that wire whenever I came acrosss the carpet, to ground myself before handling the hardware. A decent power-cord center-pin connection to ground, does the same thing, but over a longer path. But if your power ground connection is questionable, it will provide no static protection and you're asking for other trouble anyway.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.