Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new round here and wasent sure where to post this as im not sure wheter its a software or hardware problem, so here goes

I have just bought a new base unit but I'm having problems installing software on it. I've successfully installed some games/ programs but most of the time I get I/O errors when ever I try to install anything.
my system specs are;

Gigabyte GA7VT600 motherboard
AMD XP 3000 processor
1 gig DDR ram (2 512 sticks)
Geforce FX 5900 ultra

anyone know how to solve this problem ?-I've heard it may be something to do the the processor speed or memory (I'm not much of a tech head)
The error messages I'm getting differ depending on what I'm trying to install but I have a feeling its the same problem causing the errors.

When I try installing the demo of breed i get this message;

'An I/O error occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file.'

and some nvidia demos I downloaded give me this message;

'Error 1335. The cabinet file 'data1.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.'

Ive tried downloading these file multiple times but I keep getting error messages, I'm also installing from the hard drive. I'm guessing its a hardware issue as I never had these problems with my old system and I'm using the same copy of XP pro as before

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I'd start by making sure your hardware is solid. Open up the case and check the integrety of all cables, expansion cards and RAM. Next, www.memtest86.com is an excellent memory test, run it overnight. Download the disk diagnostic from the manufacturer of your drive and run the extended nondestructive diagnostic. If that doesn't run up anything, then it may be time to start looking at the O/S installation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.