Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
also need help

I also have a Maxtor external hard drive that has recently started giving me an I/O error message and I can no longer access it. I'm using windows XP. The hard drive turns on, shows up in "my computer" but when I try to access it I get the cannot read because of I/O error. I had been using a USB cable, tried a fire wire and same. Tried on another computer and also the same. I tried uninstalling the Maxtor program. When I plugged it back in I did not get the usual "found new hardware" icon and still got the same message

Any help appreciated

Thanks, Thomas

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Since it's failed on several systems, my guess is something has failed in the external case or the hard disk. For diagnostics, I'd remove the drive from the external case, install it as a secondary drive in your desktop machine, and try running the Maxtor disk diagnostics on it as a first step.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.