Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:4-dontkno I know this is an office forum but I love u all and this prob is just making me crazy! I have IE Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803 -2158 Cipher Strength: 128 -bit*installed but never use it except in teaching situations (most students still use IE). I teach Office classes here in Nepal. Here is the problem:
No matter WHAT I DO, I can't ENABLE pop-ups in IE. I always get the Blocked Content message and sound on pages with such, even though all the pages I am viewing is local. I have turned off every security option in IE, and still this persists. And to make things more crazy, I can't even add something like this to trusted sites:
file://localhost/C:/Program Files/Microsoft Interactive Training/O10C/default.htm
As File:// is not an accepted protocol. MS has protected us to DEATH. I am a pretty savvy user of MS products, so I am sure that I followed the confusing help on pop-ups in this regard, and searching for a solution on the polluted internet is impossible on this subject (millions of hits on how to prevent popups, but none findable on how to enable pop-ups!)

So is there anyone out there that has seen this, fixed it, etc.? Or am I the only one in the world who wants pop-ups, exspecially my own that I am developing and trying to show to students. For example, the MS Step by Step Tutorials are a pain in the a** to display cause IE blocks the tutorials!!! Crazy. Thanks.
jigs in nepal
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just to verify what you have tried - am I correct to assume that you have tried to enable pop-ups via Tools>Pop-up Blocker>Turn Off Pop-up Blocker?

You may have to "stay" on Tools for the selection to come up if you have not selected to show all menu items.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YeeFam said:
Just to verify what you have tried - am I correct to assume that you have tried to enable pop-ups via Tools>Pop-up Blocker>Turn Off Pop-up Blocker?

You may have to "stay" on Tools for the selection to come up if you have not selected to show all menu items.
Yes, I have turned off all options related to popups/security. i hate IE. but i gotta have it to check consistency when i am making web sites, but it's such a bear to maintain. i dont think i can reinstall it like opera or firefox...i can't seem to find a seperate download just for ie. argh... but thanks!!
jigs

·
Registered
254 Posts
herojig said:
i dont think i can reinstall it like opera or firefox...i can't seem to find a seperate download just for ie. argh... but thanks!!
jigs
Yes - there is a way from the Microsoft site - you pretty much enter information that you manage computer systems and you are downloading it for multiple installations. I have done this in the past and got full downloads for each of the IE versions I needed for each of the OS I had to maintain.

Here is the link with instructions (follow it very carefully - it does work):

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YeeFam said:
Yes - there is a way from the Microsoft site - you pretty much enter information that you manage computer systems and you are downloading it for multiple installations. I have done this in the past and got full downloads for each of the IE versions I needed for each of the OS I had to maintain.

Here is the link with instructions (follow it very carefully - it does work):
well, it really was a GREAT idea and i thank u for that but i get this error on install:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system. Setup cannot continue.

My about screen (installed version) says:

Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803 -2158
Cipher Strength: 128-bit*
Product ID:55277 -OEM -0011903 00110
Update Versions:; SP2;

This suc*s. I wish there was a way to uninstall IE like any other program, but it would take another couple of lawsuits for MS to ever be able to provide that service:grin:

I suspect something is seriously wrong with IE on my system, but it sure is not worth trashing my system to fix it. arghhhh....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YeeFam said:
Here is a link from Microsoft on repairing IE:

There is a way to disable IE, but as you noted, there does not seem to be a way to uninstall it on XP.

If it is not XP, there is a way:
thanks yeefam! while most of the info on that page was bogus as it related to my system, this command did seem to fix my problem with popup warning always on:
>sfc /scannow
i guess it went and repaired all the broken files...wonder what it also broke :laugh:

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
51,813 Posts
When you run SFC /SCANNOW, it replaces files with the originals. Try re-applying SP2 and see if that helps the situation.

·
Registered
254 Posts
herojig said:
thanks yeefam! while most of the info on that page was bogus as it related to my system, this command did seem to fix my problem with popup warning always on:
>sfc /scannow
i guess it went and repaired all the broken files...wonder what it also broke :laugh:
So you are getting pop-ups now ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.