Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i built this computer about 9-10 months ago. i have had this problem from the very first boot up and i have yet to figure out what it is.

I realized it for the first time when i started playing WoW. Every few minutes, my computer freezes up and the sound starts stuttering. This will go on for 4-5 seconds then normal play will resume. This gets very annoying, especially in PvP.

I get the same problem with all the high-end games i play: Half-life 2, UT 2k4, etc. I can play the original half-life and other older games with no problems at all.

Also, when i try to rip CDs to my harddrive, using either windows media or iTunes, my sound starts stuttering like it does in-game and i get the infamous blue screen of death.

The BSoD gives me this error:

STOP: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

im not quite sure what that means...

My specs:
AMD Athelon 3400+
GeForce 6800
1 GB of Geil ultra RAM

·
Registered
174 Posts
This could be a number of problems. I would start by swapping out the sound card and see if it happens again. Maybe even update the drivers.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
From http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php
"This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU)."

Try running with just 1 stick of RAM at a time to see if either one is faulty, and then run memtest

0x0000009C http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284&sd=RMVP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried one stick of RAM at a time and i still crash with both sticks.

i cant run memtest because i unfortunately have no floppy drive

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Try burning the ISO to CD-R and running memtest from that.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
AMDuser... If you're using the ISO from ebackhus' link, open Nero and go to Recorder > Burn Image, select the ISO file, enable 'Write' and 'Finalize CD' under the Burn tab, and click the 'Burn' button.

When the CD is complete, leave it in the drive and reboot. Keep tapping the 'delete' key until you get into the BIOS and change the boot order to CD first, Hard Drive 2nd. Save settings and reboot again to start memtest.

Note: remember to change the boot order back when you've finished all tests.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.