Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i recently built my own computer and for the first five minutes everything seemed fine. while i was in the process of installing windows xp my whole computer lost power. i tried to turn it back on but all i got was a flash from the leds and a few rotations from all the fans. after that i stopped getting anything from it when i pushed the power button. after some tinkering i discovered that if i didnt plug in the atx12v plug all my lights and all my fans would start, but i would get no video. if i plugged in the atx12v i would get nothing. i think i heard an electrical sound when i hit the power button with the atx12v plugged in, it was kind of a sizzle but only lasted a split second. i have tried just about everything i could think of and everything i could find online. please someone help me.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I am not sure what power supply you used in your build as you have not listed any specs altho it could very well be a case of a generic power supply packing it in, The electrical sound you heard does not sound promising. Can you smell anything unusual around the power supply ?
Have you gone and double checked all your leads and cables, are you sure that your motherboard is sitting on the standoffs correctly and not earthing out on the case?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my specs

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice 2.4GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3800BPBOX
Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
SAPPHIRE 100162L Radeon X1300XT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
COOLER MASTER Centurion RC-534-SKR5 Silver Aluminum & Mesh bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply
ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model VS1GBKIT400

thats what i have for parts besides a standard keyboard, mouse, and cd-rom drive. i have double checked all my connections. i have taken the entire thing apart and reassembled it piece by piece. i dont smell anything funny from the ps, but the sound comes from the atx12v connection. well i shouldnt say that i have taken the whole thing apart, i havent removed the mobo yetto check to see if its touching the case. thanks for the quick responses. ill post again after i get out of work and can check the mobo to see if its touching.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok so i just got done hooking up the mobo outside of the case and i still get the same results. ive tried clearing the rtc but it didnt do any good. what i dont understand is why the computer would work for the first 5-10 minutes after hooking it up but then stop.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
while you have every thing out see if you can beg, borrow or steal another power supply ( well Ok not steal ), see if you have any success in getting your system up. I would also look on the underside of the board for any burn marks just to be sure.

And yes you do need the 4 pin 12V

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im getting another psu tomorrow. its and extra from when my brother built his comp. i forget the brand but i know its 450w.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
pcie requires 24a min on the 12v+ line,you would expect to see a min 550w+ quality supply running the system

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i used the power calculator but i dont think i was doing it right because it kept only comming out to say that i needed like 300w. so youre saying that i just dont have enough power? that would make sense to me. also there arent any burn marks on the mobo anywhere. if i just need more power that would be great. ill have to see what i can do about getting my hands on psu.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
psu im gettin

ok so i asked my brother what the psu he has is and he told me it is this.
Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC.

if this should work for what i have please let me know. if it doesnt i guess ill have to get a new one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the psu im gettin has a total of 36 amps and my old one only had 19 so this should hopefully solve the problem. i will post again after i get the psu and let you guys know if it worked. thank you all so much for your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.