Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I'm building a computer for my grandpa. I ordered all the parts off of NewEgg. I installed them all but it won't work..

The RAM's LEDS turn on, the CPU fan turns on, the CPU heats up, but nothing shows up on the screen and the graphics card's fan doesn't turn on. I put in my old one and the fan turns on on it, but still nothing on the screen. I don't know if I have something that isn't working or what..

I do know one thing though. The RAM I have is DDR3 1600. The Motherboard's manual says it supports "240-pin DDR3 1600(overclocking)/1333/1066/800." What does that mean? Does that mean it only supports one of the others overclocked to 1600?

All the part names are availiable if you need them.
Please help. lol. Thanks for your help.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
and welcome to the Forum

What Brand and Model is the Motherbaord? What Brand and wattage is the Power Supply?

You can click on the link to Bench Test in my signature and follow those trouble shooting steps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I tried that. And I think that maybe my motherboard is shorted? I remember that the case was missing one mount thingy and when I was plugging in the 20 pin ATX power cord, it bent and hit the case. But wouldn't that make the cpu fan not run, and make the RAM LEDs not turn on?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
CoolMax PSU's are very low quality. It is very possible the Mobo shorted or got damaged when connecting the PSU to Mobo harness.

PC Specs?
Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
"Post" Do you get to the Bios screen?
I would strongly suggest you bench test.

Remove everything from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CoolMax PSU's are very low quality. It is very possible the Mobo shorted or got damaged when connecting the PSU to Mobo harness.

PC Specs?
Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

Mobo--ECS BLACK SERIES P45T-AD3 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU--Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80580Q8200
RAM--Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (with LEDs) Model BL25664TB1608
Graphics--XFX GT220XZNF2 GeForce GT 220 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
PSU--COOLMAX RM-850B 850W Active PFC Power Supply

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
okay, now I"m doing the benchmark test, and I have a question. I have 2 different connectors for my ATX 4-pin connector. One says +p4 and the other says P4. which one do I use>

EDIT: I'm diong the benchmark test. But, it's doing the same thing it does in the case..

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
IF everything is connected per instructions then refer to the last paragraph of the bench test.
*If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective*
In my humble opinion you have a lot of possible issues. ECS Mobo's are far from top quality, Ballistx RAM has been known for problems, and you have a very low quality PSU.
My first suspicion would be the CoolMax PSU.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IF everything is connected per instructions then refer to the last paragraph of the bench test.
*If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective*
In my humble opinion you have a lot of possible issues. ECS Mobo's are far from top quality, Ballistx RAM has been known for problems, and you have a very low quality PSU.
My first suspicion would be the CoolMax PSU.
The only reason why I got them was because on NewEgg it was cheap and had like 4 stars.

But, I have a question... In the Mobo manual it says it supports DDR3 1600 overclocked and DDR3 1333 native. What does taht mean? Do I just need DDR3 1333 RAM? Would incompatible RAM keep it from POSTing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OKay, Maybe I fried something. When I first plugged in the PSU to the Mobo, there was a P4 and a +P4 connector to power the CPU. I plugged in the +P4 instead of the P4. Would that have done somehting?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.