Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Gang ~

Building Web Pages & writing or understanding HTML & Javascript is something I know fairly well. So I created a site totally in Flash and it works just fine and is up on the Net. But I decided to use Microsoft Publisher to create a webpage 2C how that goes. Well putting it together was no problem until I needed to do a very simple thing.

I have a banner which has a number of text words on it. Each word should take you to a different page within my site i.e. Hyperlinks

Ok no problem right? [Wrong] for some reason I just can't seem to highlight the words and add a link to that word. Now I can use the Rectangle Tool and place a box around the specific word and input a link that way but there's this visable box around each word that I can't get rid of. So I suppose I can open the HTML doc. and write in the source code for each word but there must be a simpler way of doing this. Can anyone tell me?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the words part of the banner, its just a picture or are they text over the top of the banner? If its just a picture you won't be able to make each word clickable. If it's text on top of the banner you should be able to highlight each word with your cursor and format the hyperlink.
Hi DevLady ~

Yeah the Text is part of my Banner which I made in Photoshop. I've done things like this hundreds of times and pretty much know how to make a hyperlink. And as I said, I know all I really have to do is Edit the Html Doc but the fact that I can't highlight any portion of the doc. gives my worries about this project.

Question: Do you have Publisher in your system?
My version is part of Office 2003

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
BB, I'm not exactly clear on whats going on from what you said, but it sounds like you made one unsliced image in photoshop and are using that as a header. At this point, you were only able to put selection boxes over the image, which were showing up with a border because the css for that element was defaulting to a colored border. Every part of the image that you want to use as a link will need to be made into its own image unless you want to do some in-depth image mapping. If you've already made slices and I'm misunderstanding the issue, please elucidate whats happening for me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plz allow me 2 illustrate.

NavBan1 - Is what the Banner looks like and with a normal Select Tool, I should be able to simply drag & highlight any section of this Banner and add a Link

NavBan2 - Is an illustration of the only means in Publisher to accomplish this which is by adding a text box, right clicking within the box and adding the link.

All I can find within the Program is the ability to Send the Text Box to the Back which then looks like NavBan1 but the link is no longer functional.

V-Six said:
At this point, you were only able to put selection boxes over the image, which were showing up with a border because the css for that element was defaulting to a colored border.
I can't locate where to view or adjust the preference you're talking about in Pub. So all that I can decide to do at this point is create another Banner without the Text and Hyperlink the Text that I put on it as I go, unless someone can tell me how it's done in Publisher.

Again, I have many other solutions but I'm curious as to why this is not accomplishable <-- (not sure if that's a word)

·
2,274 Posts
If the banner is just one image, I'm not sure if there's a point 'n click version of what you need in publisher (I've never used it).

To clear the borders on your textarea, you will need to add a line to your css. Will look something like this, depending on what kind of textarea the program is using. You'll have to look at your source code to find out what kind of tag is being used for the text areas. Once you know, insert that tag into textarea in the css below.

textarea {border-style: none;}

it may also be necessary to change the textarea a, a:hover, a:link, a:visited, a:active tags to clear the border from them in the same fashion).

This isn't what I recommend though. Ideally, you should be breaking your nav bars into pieces so that a link can be added to each image. This becomes important because without doing this, your alt tags aren't much help. If someone has images turned off or is using an assistive reader to access the site, they won't be hanging around for long.

To accomplish things the way that you want to be doing them, you need to use image maps. I'm not sure if publisher has an option for such, as, like I said, I've never touched publisher. Look around the interface or check the help index, maybe you'll strike oil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
V-Six said:
To accomplish things the way that you want to be doing them, you need to use image maps. I'm not sure if publisher has an option for such, as, like I said, I've never touched publisher. Look around the interface or check the help index, maybe you'll strike oil.
V-Six ~ You are a freakin GENIUS !!!!

That statement reminded me that some years ago I worked with a program to input Image Mapping on png - jpg and other associated images with increased color count, called SPGWEB. This program is not a stand-alone but more so a Plugin for Image Programs like Photoshop- Corel Draw - PSP etc. So I searched my old disk drive because actually I couldn't even remember the name of the software so I searched my files under Plugins and found it.

With this plugin, I can place mapping on not only a specific part of a page but also you can do cool things like make the HotSpot be the Dot in the letter i. So now I know I can accomplish this feat however I'm disappointed that Publisher doesn't allow for something this simplistic (imo).

It's amazing but when people put there heads together - mountains can be moved. :4-cheers:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW - If you or anyone else would like to try it, I can Zip it up and send it over or maybe provide a link to where you can check it out. It's really cool ! But Image Mapping is the least of its' capabilities.

·
2,274 Posts
If you're sending any software that isn't openly licensed, I wouldn't mention it at TSF. More than welcome to add a link to it's site though. I use dreamweaver as my text editor, I don't care for its WYSIWYG system, but it has some nice features that make coding less cumbersome.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.