Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my internet stopped working a few days ago. It's telling me that a network cable is unplugged. So I plugged it in again, I even tried plugging in a different network cable. It's still not working, and I don't know what to do. Aigh. x.x

·
Registered
380 Posts
Need a little more info.
1- is it dial up or broadband?
2- is the computer behind a router?

Other helpful info- What OS?

If broadband- try resetting the cable modem. Usually there is a small hole
where you put a pen tip in it and hold it in for no less than 10 seconds. Then
release and give it a few minutes to reset. If no luck- proceed to.....

If have Windows XP-
Control panel >Network and internet connections >Network connections

You should now see your Local Area Conection icon. Right click on it to highlight it (turn it blue). Now look in the left hand sided of the window. Look for a wrench icon that says repair this connection. Double click on it.

The computer will go through a little process to check and repair if necessary.
Once complete- close windows back to desk top and try to connect to internet.

If still no luck- post back with the info suggested above and we will try a couple other things.

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Broadband
2) Yes, it is behind a router

The OS is windows xp.

And thank you for the suggestions, but I had already tried them. When I clicked on repair the conection it said TCP/IP must be enabled or something. Resetting the modem didn't work either. =/

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

·
Registered
380 Posts
Try this

Ok then- lets see
Control panel>Network Connections
Click on Local Area network and just highlight it blue and a pop up window
will appear
Scroll down to properties and click on it. Next right click on
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) so that it is highlighted. Is there a check mark next to it? If no- put a check mark in the box. Now click on the properties
button below it.
I presume that you have not set up a static IP address for each computer- therefore make sure that "Obtain and IP address automatically" is checked as
well as the "obtain DNS Server automatically" is checked. Click ok and then back out of or close the windows.

Get back to a point where you see the Local Area connection and right click on it. In the pop up window click on Status and see what it says. It should say Connected and in the Activity area you should see bytes being sent and received. If no luck there- post back and we'll look in the device manager and see what is going on.

Can you remember what happened directly before it stopped working- i.e. --
security update, installed new program, maybe spyware attack, or error messages? Also, do you run spyware programs as well as an antivirus?
Talk to ya later.

Andy

***Edit note- While I was typing my response I see that Johnwill had also
replied. Therefore I would give his a try first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did what you said and then I went to see the status and it wouldn't let me click on status, it's grey. And well, when it stopped working I was at school, so I don't know. =/

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok then-
Right click on My Computer icon and scroll down to Manage and click on it.
In the left hand side- scroll down and click on Device Manager.
Now scroll down to Network Adaptors and expand the tree by clicking on the
+. Do you see a yellow question mark here? If yes- then there is a problem with either the Ethernet card itself or it's driver. By chance do you have the driver for the Ethernet card?
Lets assume there is a yellow question mark. Right click on that device and in the pop up window scroll down and click on scan for hardware changes and follow instrucitons if any and then close. Try to connect to internet.
If no luck- proceed....
Now- comming back to this same point (having expanded the tree), right click on the device and uninstall the driver of the ethernet card and then close out of all these windows. Shut down the computer and re-start it. Winows XP should recognize the card as having been installed and will re-install the driver. It should state that new hardware was discoverd and installed and ready to use. At this point- try to connect to the internet.
Post back and let us know what happened.

Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.