Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built my own pc and I got windows 98 se cause it was only 10 bucks. I tried installing it, but it refuses to load the cd while running in bios mode. I put the cd in my other pc (one im using now) and it started up just fine via the autorun. How the heck am i suppose to make this thing work?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can't autorun the CD in while it is in BIOS mode.

First, make sure you have the FULL version of Windows 98, not just the upgrade version. If you have just the upgrade version, you will need a Windows 95 CD on hand. If you don't, you just wasted your $10. You will be forced to buy a full version of Windows 2000 or XP if you don't already have a full version of Win 98. I notice you have Windows ME on another PC. You can use the WinXP upgrade on the new PC IF that WinME is the FULL version, NOT one of those restore discs. Why? because those restore discs are usually customized for the PC they came with, but you can try.

I don't recomment you use ME for anything. It is a piece of badly written OS!

Anyway, if all is good, you exit the bios, put the CD in the CD ROM, and reboot by simply turning off the computer, then turning it back on after a few seconds. When the PC reboots, it will boot to the CD if you have the boot sequence correct in the bios.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, i got windows 98 se. is that the upgrade version? So your saying all i have to do is put the cd in the tray and reboot the pc? nothing more? if that is the case, thankyou so much!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bah, i went on ahead and purchased xp home. for some reason it is taking a heck of a long time! it says: estimated time done 33 minutes. about 2 hours ago it said ETD 39 minutes.

two hours later and it went down 6 mins

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is the new system working okay?

If you have troubles installing XP, let us know the specs of the new system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
it finished installing at about 8 this morning, so i left it to do its thing, registered as a user, and left to go to school. when i get back home ill post my progress. i left it at a screen that had nothing on it but the windows xp logo, and didnt change for 10 mins.

[edit]

new problem... I finished installing XP today, but when I ran it, during reboot it asked for a password. I never typed in a password ever on that computer. Wat the heck?!? Please help me. What am I suppose to do?

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you're sure you didn't give it a password to use, then leaving the password field blank should get you in.
Did someone else have access to it while it was installing and you were away?
Are there different user accounts to choose from?

Sounds like a Windows XP problem to solve now...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Is this the same copy of XP that you're trying to put on the new system as you had on the old system? If so, you're going to have to contact MS customer support to refresh your XP product key. Right now, it may appear to MS that you're trying to install the same XP on two systems, and they want you to buy a second copy. If you explain things to them, they will cancel the XP off the old system, and will enable you to use XP on your new system.

MS loves their money!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.