13K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Fozzy 
#1 ·
Running a....

PIV1.9
512 MB PC 133
Intel board --D850EMV2
Win XP pro SPK1
30GB IBM deskstar

Ok...I got a new (brand new) HP psc 2210 multifunction printer.....I take it out of the box...as I cut the tape....I am greeted with a "designed for windows XP"....I install the software as per the poster...following it STEP by STEP...get up to step 6 and I connect the power....ok...connect the USB...and as expected ...widows detects a new device...then 5 seconds later.... :no: :no: (you know what happens next...the BSOD...yes folks it is still alive in XP..in case anyone missed it...) and the blue screen says.... NO_More_IRP_Stack_locations

I check HP site and one of the recommendations are ...change the drive for the universal serial bus driver form ver ba to ab ...done...still BSOD

SO being the pro HP guy and a reseller I call my dedicated techsupport number...they of course dont even try to help...not my area (there is no more customer service) I get bounced to the consumer que....after 30 minutes of hold...I get a young lady who determines in 5 seconds I have a windows XP issue

I say but my other USB devices are fine....nope IRQ's are a windows issue...I turned around and said NO it is a IRP..she puts me on hold....10 minutes later she gets on and tells me to search google...all I find is info about developing drivers....I ask for a second opion and her supervisor gets on the phone and with in 5 more seconds says....yea this is the FIRST time seeing this problem....it is definitly a windows problem....

So searching DOgpile come up with the following...

anyone into translating it...or coming up with other solutions...

http://www.osr.com/resources_ifsfaq.shtml#Q51

Q51 I am getting NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS as a stop code. How do I fix this?

This error occurs because your driver calls IoCallDriver but there are no additional stack locations available within the IRP. As a result, the IRP is likely to already be damaged. The maximum number of I/O stack locations can be exceeded for several possible reasons:

· The caller created an IRP with an insufficient number of stack locations. In earlier versions of Windows NT this situation would arise with OS components that pre-allocated fixed-size IRPs. Typically, this was resolved by changing some component-specific registry entry to increase the fixed size.
· A driver in the stack has the incorrect value in the StackSize field of the DEVICE_OBJECT. In this case, the driver should be modified to report the correct size. Normally, filter drivers need not worry about this because IoAttachDeviceToDeviceStackSafe and IoAttachDevice set up this field by adding one to the value of the device to which they attach. Drivers that do not filter are responsible for determining the correct value for this field.
· A filter driver can cause this problem by incorrectly copying the stack location. Drivers should use IoCopyCurrentIrpStackLocationToNext. In older versions of Windows NT where this call is not available, it is possible to use the newer implementation (which is a macro) or to call RtlCopyMemory and follow this with a call to IoSetCompletionRoutine. If no completion routine is needed, the three Boolean values should be set to FALSE so that the completion routine is not called.

In newer versions of Windows this has become an unusual error because most filter drivers function properly in this regard. The most common manifestation of this problem remains kernel mode components that utilize fixed-size IRPs, where they detect the improper size and return an error back to the caller, rather than risk running out of stack locations. In such a case, the resolution is normally to change the registry parameters to increase the fixed size.

See less See more
#2 ·
Smart @$$ replies ...

Uninstall Windows. Load Linux.

... heh heh he... or the standard M$ Answer ...

1.) Reboot.
2.) Reload Windows.

:D

Ok seriously.

First thing, did you look for an updated driver @ HP?

Not much experience with USB ... but have you tried different USB cables or ports?

Can you attach the printer with Parallel?

When talking with tech support: (I'm sure you know this.)
1.) ALWAYS GET THE NAME, TIME YOU CALLED, TIME THEY ANSWERED.
2.) Get a case number. Make them open a case.
3.) Escalate.

Ps. Yep, our good ole friend, the BSOD. M$ just can't quite vanquish him can they!?!?

#6 · (Edited)
guddu1277 -thanks for the input but it is definitly IRP_Stack...not IRQ

Pseudocyber- the latest version is 1.10 both the CD and the website have it...:upset: ...when i do a search for IRP stack location I get MSDN libary info on buildng a better driver...!!!

According to HP...Lucky me I am the first person to have this issue

#8 ·
here's something I've found, dunno if it will help. These guys mention corrupt memory :

Bug Check 0x35: NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

The NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS bug check has a value of 0x00000035. This bug check occurs when the IoCallDriver packet has no more stack locations remaining.
Parameters

The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.
Parameter Description
1 Address of the IRP
2 Reserved
3 Reserved
4 Reserved

Cause

A higher-level driver has attempted to call a lower-level driver through the IoCallDriver interface, but there are no more stack locations in the packet. This will prevent the lower-level driver from accessing its parameters.

This is a disastrous situation, since the higher level driver is proceeding as if it has filled in the parameters for the lower level driver (as required). But since there is no stack location for the latter driver, the former has actually written off the end of the packet. This means that some other memory has been corrupted as well.
Built on Thu, 05 September 2002

#9 ·
Found that one as well as a few others...

OK...as much as you guys hate and pick on M$ I will continue to defend them....probaly because I am a partner and not a competeter....and not that I can spell:)

A little backround that I didnt know was but ended up being part of the symptom...my scanjet 4100C decided one day ...not to work...also USB... would just hang up...thats the reason I went out and bought the ALL in one..I figured SPK1 made the scanner obsolete....plus you cant have to many toys right....

SO I call Microsoft and the first question I get is what printer are you using...cause they had to make sure it was on the HCL... for thoes of you who dont know the HCL (Harware compatablity list) is microsofts way of limiting the amount of devices they need to assist you with....if you are buying something for XP make sure the DESIGNED for XP logo is displayed...it doesnt mean that it will not work if it is not just the M$ wont support you using it....

OK...so with that out of the way we get to talking about the problem....I have now joined the elite club...I read the tech my exact error as I recreate it...and the bottom of the blue screen the is a stop code 0000035x...since 1996 I am the 9th person to call with a "Stop 35" and the second to call for a printer...seems the popular on is a PS2 mouse...

He warns me that we might get the printer it self working but there is no garuntee if the driver is shot that the fax,scanner,photo reader will work...I was pissed...spent all the money ( actually got the printer for under $190 - I explain that one in deals when i get a chance...it sells for $299) ..but well see...

I FTP them the dump file that the stop error created and waited for them to analyis it and call me back...2 hours later and a bad vote on suvivor...I get the call back...Rich there's hope....it turns out there is a HP file...(now dont go deleting and reinstalling this guy till I post the email synopsis form M$) called...I am pretty sure HPUSBfd.sys in system32 and the registery and a value that need to be increased...it seem this file is the "translator for the OS and USB" and it was indeed corrupt....remaning it and deleting it from the registery and ...changing a value...boom...the printer gets reconized...boom my HP 4100 get reconized....boom the software reinstalls...boom my sub 190 printer works...every part of it....

Yeah....so I am wating for the exact synopsis for M$ so I can post it for others having issues....and I can figure out how to go to back to HP and say...Gee my HP USB products dont work when my other USB devices like Sony, Iomega simpleTech and other work fine...mabey just mabey it is not the OS but something the way HP talks to my USB devices

#10 ·
HCL (Harware compatablity list) is microsofts way of limiting the amount of devices they need to assist you with....
... and I'm sure it's also how M$ rakes in some extra $$$ from 3rd Party manufacturers ... you think it's FREE to be "blessed by M$"!?!?!

I'm glad you got it fixed.

How'd you get to be a "partner"? Pay a lot of $$? ;)

#11 · (Edited)
Paid...alot ...got alot...

If you have 2 MCP's and $1500 buring a hole in your pocket you too can be a M$ partner...or as we like to be called.. A Microsoft Certified Partner....

http://members.microsoft.com/partner/default.aspx

you get...

The COMPLETE M$ libary on CD's including.... every OS from 98 on up, Every application from Office 2000 on up, MSDN developer libary...10 licenses to use the products for your office and more....

Technet....yeah its on the web but if your at a client whoes having interent problems ....you get my drift...includes...Knowlege base...service packs and more...

allowed to particpate in M$ campains....which give you more NFR software...full book sets, free tranning and ALOT MORE

additional free tranning

discounted MSCE study stuff

5 free tech support calls...value $195 each

The affliation of M$....as much as true techies bash them...the business world LOVES them

a little more/or just a litte respect form M$

and more....

If you only have 600 dollars buring a hole in your pocket or less then 2 MCP's...

you can still purchase Tech net $200 and a action pack $400...gives you most of M$ products and sales resources that partners get...

We just became Microsft Business Solution providers...More $$ but puts us in a diffrent feild then the avarage Business partner...We can now ...after paying $$ for each product you want to sell ...SEll the new M$ CRM software to be on the market in weeks...thats another story...

IF you work with M$ products get the 600 together and get the action pack and tech net...SO WORTH it...

If you need more info post back....

#12 ·
M$ synopsis...

This worked form me....not sure if it will for you...if you having problems with HP USB devices then this is a start...G/L

RICH:)

PROBLEM:
= Customer bought a brand new HP PSC2210 All-in-one printer. As soon as he attaches the USB device to his XP machine, he gets a bugcheck No_more_IRP_Stack_locations. Stop 0x0000035.

Customer has the machine dual booted with ME and the device works fine under ME.

MORE INFORMATION:
=Environment: Windows XP SP1
------------------------------------------------

GOAL: = To be able to use the HP all-in-one device on Windows XP Pro.

Hello Rich,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. I am the Support Professional who will be working with you on this case. You can reach me using the contact information below and referencing the case ID.

As we discussed, the issue you're experiencing is a STOP 0x00000035. We will work to resolve this specific issue through the course of the case. If I have misunderstood your concern please let me know. Once we resolve this issue, verification will be provided through email. This will allow us to make absolutely sure we have completed the agreed upon incident.

FYI, for more information on what constitutes a support incident, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/Directory/directory/policies.asp

Best Regards,
Lowell Allen III
Microsoft Enterprise Support - Windows 2000 Server Setup Team

*** PHONE LOG 12-Dec-2002 17:53:38 Central Standard Time lowella Action Type:Incoming call

Rich has a hp psc 2110 all-in-one print device.

When he plugs in the USB device he gets a STOP 0x00000035 error. No_more_IRP_Stack_locations.

We have collected a memory.dmp file and he is sending it to the FTP server.

I will call Rich back after reviewing the dump file.

*** Log # 5

*** RESEARCH LOG 12-Dec-2002 19:37:31 Central Standard Time lowella Action Type:Research

Rob looked at dump and found a filter driver ...

We renamed the HPUSBFD.SYS file - found in system32 folder

Set the Service level to 4 ( disabled )- was a registery setting dont remeber where

and removed the upperfilter driver from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

and rebooted connected device it recognized device correctly

Rich will run through setup and install device .:bandit:

#13 ·
Doonz if you still are on this board (I know this was posted a while back) I would like to say THANK YOU for this info. I have been trying to figure an issue that was related to my HP scanner that I removed over a year ago. I needed to remove the filter from the USB device and every time I did this it would disable all of my USB controllers. I always came close but one thing I missed that was important was that reference to the filter in that reg key that you posted.

After doing everything I had did before along with that edit it worked perfectly :)

I've been trying to clear that out for over a year, machine still worked fine I just wanted to get it out of there :)

again thanks for the post :wave: :wave: :wave:

#15 ·
YES it is :) if HP would get there head out of there....... maybe then I could have had this cleared out. Seems developers have a hard time making uninstalls that remove everything :)

again thanks, I haven't seen change but perhaps it will be a bit more stable :wave:

#16 ·
outlook express problems

I recently transferred OE to THunderbird, and although everything seemed to import ok from OE to THunderbird, I can only read mail in Thunderbird, when I try to send I am informed that the server won't allow it. I have to go back to OE to send mail. Any ideas anyone?

#17 ·
No_more_irp....

Hello,
I have this message at boot and the computer reboots automaticaly.
When I boot XP in no-echec mode, it works well.
It happens after I ran a game designed for children working on quick time.
This game doesn't install anything. I tried it and as I was in a hurry, I've shutdown the PC without stopping the game (Start button and clic on Stop).
Since then, it hangs on the IRP message.
I didn't install any hardware.
I've tried a system backup in no-echec mode and got back to the situation five days earlier but it didn't works.
What can I clearly do to fix this problem ?

Thanks for any help.

Config: PC Fujistu-SIemens
AMD 1Ghz
256 Mo DDR PC2700
XP Family SP2 (official)
DVD R
CD RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.