Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
An X600Pro is the same speed as an old Radeon 9600 Pro. A 9600 Pro is less than half the speed of a GeForce 6600GT in most games. If you really want to game at this point I would consider a 6600GT about the slowest card you should buy unless you're on a serious budget. An X600Pro is going to bog down on lots of current games.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I seriously doubt that the card comes with 16 pipes enabled. 6800s normally come with 12 pixel pipes and you have to run RivaTuner to try to unlock the extra pixel pipes and vertex pipes. Sometimes the extra pipes work and sometimes they don't. I doubt that PNY would get hold of 6800s where all pipes work and then charge the same as the other 6800 makers which ship with 12 pipes only. I couldn't google my way into anything unusual about PNY 6800s so I think the "16" is a typo.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
The NV40 core comes with 16 pipes IN it, but the board maker and nVidia can disable them at will. It's how you create a "budget" card. :) Sometimes it's because all the pipes didn't work when they tested and that's another method. I think my old 9800SE was like that. If I enabled the other 4 pipes I got artifacts out the wazoo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.