Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Help! I have an hp officejet 4215 v all-in-one printer. I don't currently use the fax or phone, so I didn't have that set up. I have a friend who is also a computer tech and he believes the problem is actually my computer settings, and not my printer. Because my printer will scan and copy.

I wish I could remember when I first noticed problems w/it and could think of any changes that happened at the time, but I can't.

I did an uninstall and re-installed from the CD. It appears to be downloading and set up progressing as it should. Then the "Hardware Wizard" comes up and says "cannot install this hardware. There was a problem installing hp officejet 4200 series. An error occurred during the installation of the device. The RPC server is unavailable."

When I go to "control panel" - "administrative tools" - "services" it says my RPC and Print Spooler are running and set to automatic.

When I go to "run" - "msconfig" - "services" - it says my RPC is running, but my PRINT SPOOLER is stopped.
This surely is part of the problem - do you have any ideas from here??

Also - when I right click on the printer icon and click on properties, I get this error message. "Printer properties cannot be displayed. The print spooler services is not running."

If I try to print I get this message: "Before you can print you need to select a printer. Double click to add printer of find printer. If you need to install a printer double click the add printer icon or click "find printer". When I click "ADD PRINTER" I get this message - "Operation could not be completed the print spooler service is not running.
When I click on"FIND PRINTER" I don't know what to enter there..

At one time during all this I also received this message. "C:\windows\Explorer.EXE
Function address 0x7c917c43 caused a protection fault, (exception code 0x000005) some or all property pages may not be displayed.".. But I don't receive that error every time I've tried un-installing and re-installing.

Another thing I've noticed on the printer display is says "FAX", previously I think it said "print".

My friend believes all these problems are with my computer, because I was going to just buy a new printer, but he doesn't think it would work and I would still have the same problems.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, I would really appreciate your help.

I have a Compaq Presario 6000, XP w/updates, I use Firefox as my browser and AVG.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.