Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hers my story. bought a dell xps 420 a year and a half ago. 6 months ago it was working fine, and i had to move, so i packed it up in originol box, and there its sat, for 6 months. i moved again and hooked it up correctly. i turn it on, have power light working, hear the hard drive wind up. 1st screen i see is dell logo and a load bar at the bottom, this is also where u can enter set up menu and boot menu. next screen is the copyrights. and there it stops. after this is where windows should load, but it stops before this. i went into the set up screen and tried to reset to default. this didnt do anything. in the boot menu 1st option is st3320620as, 2nd is onboard or usb cd-rom drive, 3rd is system setup, last is diagnostic. the system setup is only one that changes the screen. all others after hitting ener, i am unable to scroll. i tried putting in the os disc, can hear it reading it, but the screen doesnt change. when it comes to the inside of the tower, the workings and all, i am at a loss for words. i dont really have the money to take it somewhere. anyone have any suggestions....plz help

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try this.
When you open your laptop go to the boot menu and set it so the system boots of disc (I cant give you details of the top of my head) You should be able to find out how online. Then insert the disc and reset the system keeping the disc in.
Hope this helps

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
when it comes to the inside of the tower, the workings and all, i am at a loss for words.
So this is a desktop, not a laptop, correct.
Are you unable to run the Diagnostics from the Boot Menu? The mouse may not work, but you should be able to use the arrow keys to navigate.

If a PC has been sitting unused for a while, first thing I would do is to remove and re-seat everything:
RAM
Video Card
All Other cards
Data connections to the drives at both Motherboard and Drive end.

If you are not comfortable working inside the case, you should find someone to give you a hand.

Manuals are available on line here: XPS 420 Documentation
Read through the Removing and Replacing parts sections.
Be sure the system is unplugged. Avoid working in a carpeted area, and touch the case often to dissipate any static charge.
If it's a cold, dry day, and walking across a carpet causes you to get static shocks, it's not a good day to work on a PC without an antistatic mat and wristband.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.