Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to open Outlook, having run the Files & Transfer Wizard, I get a message telling me that it was impossible to open the Outlook .pst file and then Outlook shuts down.

My previous setup was multiple boot and XP was on Drive G: and hence the file's path was G:\Documents & Settings\Andrew\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

Is there a file I can access to redirect it's search to the more familiar C:\...\....\Outlook.pst?

My last setup is no longer accessible (flattened discs having thought I'd saved/transferred the necessary data). I see that there are quite a few handy Outlook backup tools available on the web! (Always after the event! Doh!!

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
If Outlook 98-2000. Right click on the desktop icon (not click launch, if you don't have desktop icon-Control Panel-Mail) You should see Personal Folders listed in there. If it is, highlight and remove. Then click add, select personal folders, then name it(which will create a new one), or point it to a valid pst file elsewhere on the drive.

If it is Outlook 2002 same as above other than the folders are listed below on the menu screen (don't have it memorized yet, and don't have it in front of me.) But you can pick a new location or create a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using Outlook 2003 as part of of Office 2003 Professional.

I tried the two things that you mentioned just in case they might still be the same but there are no such options presented by right clicking the Desktop Icon.

Unless you have any other suggestions I will re-install the software and try to use some of the recovery software available on the web.

Thanks anyway,

Jab45

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugly Solution

Because the Files and Settings Wizard was forcing Outlook to look for the Outlook.pst file on a non-existent G:, I simply created another tiny partition containing the necessary path of directories and it now opens up with all of my original data.

Using the new backup tool for Outlook, I am saving an Outlook.pst file to the more conventional C:\...\Outlook.pst file location, but I am still going to have to find whereabouts in the software it states the path to search so that I can revert it back to C:\..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.