Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I have no idea what this is but when i was putting all the security on this new computer, and then restarted the system this error message popped up:
Runner Error:
Runner filename Compaq Connections.exe (lacks '_') The application id seperator

I have no idea what this is or how it caused it..

this is a list of the following security I downloaded on the computer.
AVG
ZoneAlarm
Spyblaster
Spyguard
Spybot Search and Destroy
CW Shredder
IE-Spyad
Ad-Aware
I did the complete installation on this computer and then checked for updates before I ran the scans, I restarted the computer and now have this error code. Can you please help me or at least explain what type of error this is.
After I completed all the scans I had made a new restore point for this computer. now I am at a loss.
Much appreciation for your help in advance.
Mera

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Check the Add/Remove programs for Compaq Communications and uninstall it. There may also be a folder at C:\Program Files\Compaq Communications that could have an uninstaller in it.

Go to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG. Go to the Startup tab, and remove any entry related to Compaq Communications. Reboot your computer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I have read and understand all the instructions, but have just one question before I attempt to remove this, what is it.. how was it caused and will i need to reinstall this once I have removed it.
Thanks for all your advise and input.
Mera

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that was the one you were talking about, but it will not uninstall from add/remove, and i went to the file through C: and cannot find an uninstall in the file anywhere. so how do i get rid of this file now. Please help I am stooped. LOL.
Mera :4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Remove any trace of the file from the Startup tab by going to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG.

Remove the folder and everything in it at C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I am not very computer savy. could you by chance walk me through this. I am not understanding where to go to edit, and what exactly am i editing.
:1angel: appreciate any suggestions you may have.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Go to Start, Run, and type MSCONFIG. Go to the Startup tab. Remove any entry related to compaq connections. If there is an entry, uncheck it and reboot the computer. This should stop the error message.

Remove the folder and everything in it at C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections

Carefully follow the "Clean the Registry" step on this page to remove traces of the program from the registry.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i have completed the startup tab and now have the file you indicated, am i tossing this into the recycle bin? I just want to confirm where I am sending this file to. I am learning but not very confident about my computer skills yet.. and again thanks for all of your help.
Mera :sayyes:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You aren't deleting anything from the Startup tab. You are just unchecking entries that point to the real programs that you don't want executing when Windows starts.

For example, if you uncheck MSN Messenger from Startup, you aren't deleting the program. You are just telling MSN Messenger not to start/connect when Windows starts. To start it, you will have to manually start the program yourself.

This is a good way to increase the speed of your boot time, because Windows won't have to load/start unnecessary programs each time you start your computer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sorry I dont understand, yes, i have unchecked the box but thought i was now supposed to do the following directions you have provided.

(Remove the folder and everything in it at C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections

Carefully follow the "Clean the Registry" step on this page to remove traces of the program from the registry.)

I have unchecked the box.. now what is my next step.
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you have unchecked the entry in Startup that relates to Compaq Connections, then you should restart your computer.

Next you should remove the Compaq Connections folder (and everything in it) at C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections

Just follow these steps and see if everything works out for you.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, i must just be having a bad day, let me tell you what i got, i went to msconfig, i unchecked the compaq connections. I exited that and restarted the computer, now I am getting this :

System Configuration Utility:
You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way windows starts.
the system configuration utility is currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time windows starts.
Choose the normal start up mode..
so i did that and double checked my tab understart up and saw that Compaqs connections was checked, so i unchecked it again and went back to the general tab, and its back in selective mode. what do i do now.
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yeah, just ignore that message. Mark the check box that says "Don't show this at Windows boot" or something. Click OK.

Ignore the Selective Mode. That's normal. Just focus on unchecking Compaq Connections. Click Apply, then OK. Restart the computer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, good news, i have rebooted the system and no error messages. so what do i do next or just leave it as is.
do i still need to remove the Compaq connections file, and how would exactly I do that .. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You are basically finished. Just remove the folder now.

Open Windows Explorer (winkey+e), or open My Computer. Navigate to C:\Program Files\ and look for the Compaq Communications folder. Right-click on it and delete it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, i followed these directions to a tee!

(Open Windows Explorer (winkey+e), or open My Computer. Navigate to C:\Program Files\ and look for the Compaq Communications folder. Right-click on it and delete it.)

and said that the file will go to the recycle bin. so now do i need to empty my recycle bin and reboot?

and Just an fyi question, was this file even necessary for any purpose? I just dont understand the file really.
Mera
offering much thanks to your patience and help. :grin:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, my baby is back to normal. I want to thank you for all of your help and assistance and patience you have given me. I hope you have a great weekend... Bless you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.