Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a linksys wusb11 adapter and a computer using OS 2000. I want to set up a wireless connection and I can't seem to get it to work. The adapter works on a XP system correctly so I know the adapter and the drivers are good. I have the CD that came with the adapter.

I don't get the wireless list of networks as I do on the XP system.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Does the CD also come with a wireless program or utility (in addition to the drivers)? If yes install it. If you've already done it, find it in the start menu and run it. There should be menus to scan things.
In XP you have the default XP scanner, but it's possible to run proprietary software for your wireless connection (the Atheros one on my W500 takes over, though I could switch back to the XP one if I wanted to). I don't think Windows 2000 has native wireless support the way XP does though.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
OK I checked on here
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WUSB11
(good time to grab updated drivers and/or firmware if you have a minute)
and it appears there's 4 versions of this product (version 1, version 2, version 3, version 4 - probably denote various hardware revisions).
I just downloaded the manual for version 4 (at random) and it said once you install the drivers you should have a new icon in your system tray, and by double-clicking it, it should start the wireless program. I guess that's your starting point. For more info, look in the documentation (chapter 7 if you're using the version 4 manual).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do get the Icon but clicking on it brings up the screen that ususally shows the wireless networks in the area, However, the screen is blank.

This is a friends computer and I'll try again in two hours. If it helps, it is his XP system that we installed the adapter on and it did pick up the local wireless networks.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Are you getting this when you double-click the icon? (see my attachment - I copied the pic from the pdf manual on the linksys site)

Did you set up things just as the manual said? Basically it (the one for version 4 for example - still don't know which one you're using, or even if the others say to do it differently) says you have to install the software and setup everything prior to actually plugging the router. During setup you type in an SSID (linksys by default), and adjust all kinds of settings. Then at some point you connect the router to the PC via USB. Not even sure how it's supposed to be set up (I always thought those things connected to the broadband modem, then they broadcast the signal - didn't know they required a computer to operate).
I really don't know how to guide you on this as I don't even know which model you're using nor which steps from the manual you followed, so I suggest you read the pdf manual that's on the web site (just be sure to get the one for your model version).

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you blah789. I'm giving up. I think the problem is in the OS 2000 that my friend has installed. As I said before, I have no problems on XP.

I tried some other things that I copied from the web. I can't find any references to wireless networking on his system. Perhaps when he loaded the system he didn't include wireless networking. I get none of the screens I'm supposed to get when I try to set up a network.

I'm giving up. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Prior to xp windows, install software first and then turn off pc
connect up the adapter
turn on the pc, now it should install the hardware now.

Prior to xp:
software first
turn off pc
hardware
turn on pc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.