Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My computer wouldn't recognise my new hard drive, so I flashed the BIOS with an upgrade. This didn't help, but the computer still worked.

This morning the computer loaded up fine. I then altered the boot sequence to boot from a different HDD, and now the computer doesn't load up at all. It loads up the white text, but keeps resetting itself. I can't enter F2 or F11 either - it says "OK", but just restarts, acting as though I didn't press them.

I'm thinking maybe it's overheating. PSU is 400watts, and my machine has 1 case fan, 1 processor fan, and 1 graphics card fan. My specs are:

GeForce 6600GT
1.5GB RAM
3GHz
191.2GB HDD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi and welcome the the forum.
Did u check ur cables?
What kind of HDD is? SATA or IDE??

Regards

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try booting from the original drive again to see if you can get it to work.
Also, what brand of PSU? low quality PSUs are known to have stability problems.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Try disconnecting power and data cables of the new drive totaly and returning the machine to it's original setup with the one drive. It may be that your PSU is weak and the new drive just put it over the edge.

Try another PSU. You would be better off with a good quality 500 watt PSU anyway. Some of the best are Antec and Enermax, generic power supplies just don't cut it anymore with these higher powered PC's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It worked fine with this PSU before I messed around with the settings, so I don't see that as the problem.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What mobo and CPU do you have?

You did try and remove the new drive and put the settings back to where they were before you had the problem right? And the problem still exists despite the settings being back where they were?

What remains is that either something has gone bad coincidentally while you were working on the PC or maybe you have a bad connection somewhere. Make sure everything is properly seated into their connectors.

Or flashing your BIOS may have caused some issues even if it worked the first time. Try clearing your BIOS with the jumper or by removing the battery and unplugging the PC from the wall for a little while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My motherboard is an ASRock P4VT8+. Would a CPU be the processor?

And yeah, I tried to revert the settings by putting the old HD in, but it still won't load.

Right, the clearing the BIOS with the jumper sounds quite interesting. I'd love to know how to do that if you could lend any assistance. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, problem solved. I took the battery out for half an hour, put it back in, and wahey!

Cheers for all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.