Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people... this is my first post, so I may make mistakes. Please redirect my thoughts if so :)

SO, I tried to enable IIS on my system (Pro) just for the knack of it... big fraggin' mistake!
Now, after it's gone, my port 80 is constantly opened even if I'm behind a firewall and a router. The people at Sygate don't have any explanation because even advanced blocking rules don't work.

Could it be that after I uninstalled IIS something stayed enabled to open my port? And are there other stupid flukes like that?

Thanx people... this'll keep me from going gonzo!
Otherwise I'm gonna fsck it!

MrDenis

·
Registered
40 Posts
:smash:
Registry Fix, maybe
Take a looksie at the link above, it may give you a lead on what the heck is going on, also it may be one of the other networking protocols that is keeping port 80 open, they are also listed in with the NetBT. Check the IIS registry settings to see if they are holding over and keeping something open.
Can't really think of much else I can offer you, aside form good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm... good link thanks. but the problem is still there...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm going to go ahead and assume that after all this fiddling you've tried to delete and re-install your network card drivers. Also dig through your registry and try to find any traces of IIS left on your system, if you've uninstalled it, delete them, they don't need to be there.
But backup your registry anyway.
Also check your DNS client/server to see if there is anything you can do there.
Microsoft mentioned some stuff about disabling socket pooling with IIS here.
I'm fairly certain that you're not after totaly shutting port 80 down, just when you're not browsing the web (for those of you following along, port 80 in windows XP is usualy what internet explorer uses as part of it HTTP and TCP/IP), have you checked background processes?
Tried setting your computer's network card to seek an IP when it boots up?
Tried binding an IP address to your network card?
Are you running this computer behind a router? If so what type? Anything that normaly is used in the business world will let you mess with the port settings and disable incomming packet information, some of the consumer ones will too I think.
Are you running anything to monitor the input/output to your port 80 currently? Take a look here for an idea of what common port 80 attacks look like.
You might just have to either reload windows, or kick it back to a previous system restore.

Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gee, thanx for the help !
Well, of course uninstall/install has been done. As for the registry, I found a few keys, but they're pretty obscure, like "AMS4.ActionAVIIsVisible" which is not really related directly to IIS, or so it seems... I don't know much about networking and it's applications, so maybe I'm off here...

Also check your DNS client/server to see if there is anything you can do there.
Sorry but I lost you there...

As for services, I'm not sure of which are normal and those who aren't. Yes I'm behind a router, and I could block the port but won't that cause some trouble when I browse the web?

Thanx again, I appreciate it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
The thing is you don't want to block -ALL- access to port 80, that would be bad, it would screw up your internet access royaly. Might I insted suggest that you try some of the more common fixes, drop Zonealarm on your computer, that should do it for firewall stuff, it monitors all your incomming and outgoing connections. I'm fairly sure that it will fend off most of the port attacks you are worried about.
Is this only for one computer, or are we dealing with a network? If it is a network I can throw a few more ways of disbarring outside computers, if it is a personal PC conneced via a broadband connection, you're worring too much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if it is a personal PC conneced via a broadband connection, you're worring too much
Yeah, I think I am!!! I have a home network - 3 machines. And Sygate gives me pretty good protection too, but I was just annoyed at the fact that I constantly was attacked while befor I installed IIS I wasn't. I just didn't want this to go berserk and get me in more trouble than I was.

But that pretty much answers all my questions.

Thanx again Ghrrom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.