Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for new RAM module for my computer and dont have a motherboard manual for my computer to find out what is compatable with my motherboard because i want to buy a 1GB memory stick which is a PC3200 400 mhz. I have tried so many sites to find out a compatable RAM module but the sites always ask for what computer system i have and i have a HOMEPRO 3200 but its never on there. Please help me.

This is what i want to buy:(below)
Size: 1GB DDR PC3200
Manufacturer: TZtec
Condition: New, sealed
Feature: DDR PC3200 HIGH DENSITY (will not work with Intel and NVidea chipsets) <<<<<<<< is this true
FSB / Speed: 400MHz
Number Of Pins: 184
Cas Latency: CL 3

This is what i can tell you about ym computer so far:
Computer Make: Tiny Computers
Computer Model: P4M266-8233
Motherboard Make: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Motherboard Model: P4M266-8233
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz
Memory: 3 slots: 256 MB, 256 MB, empty

Thanks for all your help in advanced, all i really want to know is if i can have the memory stick above, as the people on ebay i want to buy it from, says it isnt, but others say i can, so im confused LOL.
Thanks again.
blade_sabre AKA Chris

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Your motherboard uses the VIA P4M266 chipset. most of the MSI boards that use this chipset will support up to 2GB of memory but i don't think it will support 1gb sticks.
Another note is the fact that the system FSB is limited to 400MHz. This would mean that the memory bus is only 200Mhz. The VIA P4M266 will support PC1600 or PC2100 memory. You could use PC3200 memory but it will be downgraded to PC2100 speed.
I would just get a couple sticks of 512MB PC2100 memory.

Sidenote: Never buy High Density Modules. If the price is good, there's a reason why.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, but one more question

thanks for your replies and help on this, just one more thing.
Its all well and done that my motherboard will support some types but you say that...

"Your motherboard uses the VIA P4M266 chipset. most of the MSI boards that use this chipset will support up to 2GB of memory but i don't think it will support 1gb sticks.
Another note is the fact that the system FSB is limited to 400MHz. This would mean that the memory bus is only 200Mhz. The VIA P4M266 will support PC1600 or PC2100 memory. You could use PC3200 memory but it will be downgraded to PC2100 speed.
I would just get a couple sticks of 512MB PC2100 memory."

If i can have upto 2gb of memory meaning i buy 2 x 1gb sticks which i was planning on doing, does that mean i will basically be having 1gb of memory because of it being downgraded to the PC2100 speed as you state about the memory bus being at 200mhz, or will i fundamentally get the 2gb of memory altogether? the reason ask and sound like such an idiot now is that, when you say i can use the 1gb memory stick and it be downgraded, it seems as though form what im making it out to be is that im only getting 512mb of RAM from the 1gb stick.
(you must be pulling your hair out at me for that comment, because i dont have a clue, and im so sorry for that.)

Thank you for having alot of patients and thank you for all who posted a reply the links proved most helpful.
Thanks again,
blade_sabre aka chris

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
First the size of the memory and the speed have no relation to each other in the aspect you are looking at. If you stab a 512MB stick of PC3200 memory in your system, it will run 512MB at PC2100 speed.
On how much memry you board can handle, what it looks like is that one slot will only handle 512MB of memory. If you have 4 slots you can achieve 2GB but if you have only 2 slots you may only get 1GB. It really depends on the way the manufacturer made the board. This can get confusing because a VIA board with the same chipset can handle up to 4GB. But the MSI produced board will only handle up to 2GB.
I realize that you are trying to get the maximum potential out of your board but, you must realize that, by todays standards, the setup you have is beginning to be on the edge of old technology and you might want to consider a system upgrade.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

I understand now, finally got there.
believe it or not i bought is computer in july 2004, damm they get old quick LOL.
Well i have been making a computer from scratch and only need a motherboard and processor to finish it, so if you have an idea of what i should get, i wanna spend around £200 tops but on the otherhand i dont wanna make you rush around looking at my expense for something that i could do but take me twice as long because i do understand compatability with other hardware devices is becoming a problem for people like me that have minimal/limited knowledge even though it interests me so much LOL.
Well if you cant help me (and dont go out of your way to) then its cool and this post is completed now.

I'd just like to thank each and everyone of you that posted and gave me the helpful links and information supplied, your an ace support site.
Thank You!
blade_sabre aka chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.