Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I have a slight problem here,i run a pc with 40 gb harddrive everything fine
yesterday a friend of mine brought his 160 gb harddrive for me to transfer a couple songs from the 160 gb to my harddrive.
but when i connect the 160 gb as slave the pc detects the harddrive but when i go to my computer to browse the 160 gb drive it ask me if i want to format the drive wich i dont want
i just want to see the files on the 160 gb drive
also when i set the drive as cable select i get the same problem.
when i set it as master it dos not recognize at all
can any body help me with this problem
do you think i need to replace ide cables?
please help!

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Please give us the specs of your computer. Also, tell us what drives are on the Primary IDE cable, how the jumpers are set and where on the cable are they placed. Tell us the same for the Secondary IDE slot. That should help us a lot. Last, tell us the brand name of the hard drive you are trying to connect up.

Post back with information/questions/concerns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey tumbleweed thanks for the reply
my pc is a p4 1800 mhz
256 mem
windows xp prof
on the prim slot there is only one hardrive a 40 gbwestern digital set as master
and on sec slot i have a burner as sec master and a cd rom as sec slave
i also bought a IDE to USB adapter today and i attacht it and got the same problem as before
the os on what the 160 gb was also windows xp prof

i hope i was clear enough

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update
i just had to remove the jumpers totally(not slave not cable select)
but totally remove the jumpers
its working now

thank you

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

USB 2 to IDE adaptors along with USB external hard drive enclosures almost always require that the jumpers on the drive are set so that the drive is a master device.

It is not always easy to determine the settings from the label or engraving that are not always on the drive. The correct dettings are usually somewhere on the drive or on the manufacturers web site, if you look deep enough. Google can help.

Ceri

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi srsoupy,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. That is exactly why I asked about the brand name of the drive. Western Digital (the only one with that) drives when set to master and alone on a ribbon cable must have all jumpers removed to be a master. Might keep that in your pocket for future adventures so you know that. REmember, only WD drives are set that way.

Hey, glad you got it going. Don't be a stranger on here now, stick around and enjoy the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.