Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Cursed with Dead Abit IC7's

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Executor 
#1 ·
I rebuilt my PC last year using a new Abit IC7 MB, Intel Prescott 2.8Ghz CPU, 512Mb PC3200 Ram, Chaintech Nvidia FX 5900 XT Video card and a 430W Antec True Power PSU. It work great...for 8 months. Nothing was added or removed, neither hard nor software. I turned it on and, except for the LED, it was dead. Power switch did nothing.
I was desperate and the only Intel 875p Chip set MB available immediately was an MSI 875P Neo. I bought it and RMAed the IC7.
When the replacement IC7 arrived, I swapped it with the MSI. The IC7 was DOA.
I put the MSI back in.
4 weeks ago, the MSI bios chip died and Computer would not boot. I now have a laptop for backup so I'm not so desperate. I re-RMAed the IC7. The replacement arrived and was installed. It worked :grin: ....for 2 days :dead: . Now it's stone cold (except for the LED) DEAD again. CMOS has been cleared.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

G
#2 ·
We can blame the power supply or the case. Power supply might be providing bad quality power or there might be something wrong with the case shorting somewhere on the board. Or else there might be another hardware causing a problem which is obviously killing your motherboards. Thats what i would think.

#3 ·
i second the power supply problem. even though antec is pretty reputable and is well-known to make really good power supplies, the power supplies can also become faulty.

my 450watts antec power supply worked for 2yrs straight until it became faulty and thats when i installed my antec 350watts as backup.

if you dont have a power supply, go to your local computer store and purchase an antec or enermax power supply. test it on your computer and see if the problem remains or goes away.

#7 ·
My Abit IC7 has just failed. I have yet to try diff power supplies/case but my problem seems similar. All was fine for a month then the machine powered off in the middle of a burn.

Since the power LED on the MOBO is lit, I don't think it's going to be my PSU... maybe the power button? But why would it fail while the machine is active?

#8 ·
BeerNap said:
My Abit IC7 has just failed. I have yet to try diff power supplies/case but my problem seems similar. All was fine for a month then the machine powered off in the middle of a burn.

Since the power LED on the MOBO is lit, I don't think it's going to be my PSU... maybe the power button? But why would it fail while the machine is active?
Just because your PSU is supplying power as indicated by the green LED that does not mean the power is good. If any of the rails are weak or in someway faulty it could under or over volt the system.

Does the power switch turn on the PC, ie do your hard drives and fans spin? If so it is not the switch that is the source of your problems. If it is faulty you can disconnect it and momentarily short the 2 pins it was connected to. If the PC does not start then you have other issue like the PSU.

It is best that you start your own thread about your issues, that way we can avoid confusion as to whom we are refering our posts to.

#9 ·
Hi there, I'm pretty sure your problem lies with the cpu you're using,Prescott's run ultra hot and stresses some of the mobo's components.
I remember seeing in a web site someone testing a prescott with a IC7 or IC7-G, the mobo was without a case, just standing over foam pads, and some of the pads melted due to the extreme heat.
Remember, when the IC7 series(or any I875 MB)were released they're were designed with the northwood in mind.(I have a IC7 with a 2.6northwood ht for nearly two years and no problems with it).
Hope it helps...
Peace people

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.