Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my windows xp sp2 i changed the system drive letter from g to c ( as i guess turbo c++ 3.0 does not work in g: ). i found the steps to do this on one of windows' official support forums (not here) , i secured the system status in a .reg file as a backup. the next time i logged in, the usual blue screen appeared (the one with windows logo on it ) then it halted;

oh, one more thing i do have an XUBUNTU installed too. i can see all the contents of my windows drive even the .reg. being linux the reg is useless presently. i dont wish to format the OS . kindly tell me what to do:4-dontkno

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Were you folloing this article?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

You need to change the drive letter back. As the warning says:
Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on a computer where the drive letter has not changed. If you do so, you may not be able to start your operating system

I don't know if XUbuntu has a tool to edit the Windows registry, but you can use a Vista or Win 7 DVD to do the editing.
If you don't have one, a Vista RE disk can be downloaded from one of these links:
Vista Recovery Environment CD
64 bit Vista
32 bit Vista

Note, the drive letter of the XP Partition as seen when booted to the Vista/Win 7 disk may be different than drive C:, so change the letter as needed.
Using a Vista/Win 7 Disk

Boot with the Vista/Win7 DVD
Select Language, click Next
Click Repair your Computer
It will search for Vista/Win7 installations, just wait for it to finish.
If using Win7 Disk, select Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows.
Click Next
Click Command Prompt.
Type regedit and press Enter:
In the left pane, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to highlight it
Click File | Load Hive...
Browse to C:\Windows\system32\config
Double click on SYSTEM (the one with no extension)
In the Key Name: box type @System
navigate to here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\[B]@[/B]System\MountedDevices
You can now reverse the steps in the article to change the drive letter back to G:
You might be able to edit the .reg file you saved, changing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\MountedDevices to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\@System\MountedDevices, and then import the file. I've not tried importing or merging in this situation.
When done, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\@System in the Left Pane
Click File | Unload Hive...
Click Yes
Close the Registry Editor.

If you need to change the drive letter of the System drive, you need to re-install XP, disconnecting any other devices that are using the drive letters from C-F (except for the CD/DVD-ROM drive of course).

HTH

Jerry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.