Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I have my second hard drive plugged in and my video card installed my computer fails to boot and freezes before I can even get into the BIOS.
I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT520 card and my second hard drive is a Western Digital 80Gb IDE, although I know its not the hard drive because I have tried 3 different hard drives and it gets stuck at the same time regardless. If I disconnect either the second hard drive or the graphics card the computer boots up fine.
I've done everything I can think of so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40,653 Posts
I have tried 3 different hard drives and it gets stuck at the same time regardless.
with the drive attached, Boot into Setup (Bios), Make sure IDE port is Enabled. If there is not an OS on the drive remove it from Boot Priority or put it as the last boot device in the priority.
Shut down the computer remove the side and report the Make, Model# and Wattage of the Power Supply Unit. Your PSU may be underpowered to run your video card and a second HDD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went into bios and made sure the drive was last on boot priority. I also looked for IDE port but I couldn't find it.
The make of the power supply is Sparkle Power Int'l LTD, Model# FSP300-60ATV and wattage is 300W.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Your 300W PSU only provides 18A of 12V power. Although 300W is listed as the minimum power supply rating for your graphics card on the GeForce site, adding a second hard drive might be causing your system to draw more 12V amperage than your PSU is capable of supplying.

Do you have your hard drives properly jumpered (either master/slave or cable select if on the same cable) and connected correctly? Did you remember to connect the power for both drives?

What is the make and model of your computer system?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.