Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I am reloading one of our older machines with windows Me. (550Mhz processor, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD)So i changed the boot priority in the bios to the following:
1st = CD ROM
2nd = HDD
3rd = Disabled
However, the computer failes to boot from CD, and as the HDD is blank is says insert system disk. I have tried different CD-ROM & DVD-ROM Drives that i know work, and it still keeps on comming up with this message. I have also tried the Windows Me Boot disk (in the floppy drive) and changed the bios again to:
1st = floppy
2nd = CD-ROM
3rd = HDD
Anyone have any ideas?? beacuse i don't

Many thanks LHACKER

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

Try cleaning the surface of the WIN ME CD

Copy the CD and try using that. Sounds strange but it can work.

What heppened when you created a WIN ME Flooppy disk boot set and tried to use that.

http://www.bootdisk.com. Download the EXE image file for the WIN ME boot disk set and run to create the bootable floppy disk set.

IMHO Win 98SE would be better than ME. ME was not one of Redmonds best products. 98SE was very stable.

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure about the ME install, but 98SE and before do not boot. Get a boot disk. Free Download. Madboot is one. It will set up the CD reader to work. Boot to DOS. Select the CD and type SETUP.EXE - Enter. Some one will come in that knows for sure if the ME CD boots.

Good Luck, Jim

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If you have a floppy, I recommend that you put the floppy in the boot order, then run Fdisk and clean off the disk before you start to load your new install. If you want to do that, any of us can walk you through that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello all,
Sorry i have not came back as soon a poss as my ISP (AOL) cut me off and i have been battling with them to get it back, anyway i am now back. Looking further into the problem i have worked something out. if i changed the floppy lead around then the pc would pci k up the floppy and install Windows ME. How strange? does anyone know why?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi Hacker

If by "floppy lead" you are referring to the cable that connects the floppy drive to the motherboard, then you have discovered that the connectors have to be plugged in a certain order (there is a designated end that connects to the motherboard, and an end that connects to the floppy - when reversed, the light tends to stay on & the floppy doesn't work).

Glad you've had success with your project
. . . Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you very much, but what gets me is that there is 1 pin missing on the floppy drive, and on my cable there is no "blocked" pin holes on either side of the motherboard to floppy ide connector. How can i prevent this from happening again?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi again

Some floppy cables have the blocked pin to help with "keying" (so that the cable only will attach one way. Other cables sometimes use the "notch" to help with "keying" (many IDE cables, too, have notches to help in this way). And some floppy cables have a "twist" near the end of the cable to which the floppy drive is attached. And there are floppy cables with little or no markings or notches or blocked pins -- for these, it's trial and error. When a cable is nice enough to have both a notch and a red stripe on one side, the red stripe indicates which side lines up with pin 1 on the floppy [this same trick is also used for many IDE cables].

The trick is simply having a compatible cable, and managing to get it oriented right. [... and, once connected correctly, you can mark the cable with a permanent marker - to help in case of future repair work].

Glad it turned out
. . . Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.