Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm using a notebook running windows vista and i have this problem.

The problem is that I can't seem to find my network / router in my "connect to a network" list. I used to be able to do it when it appeared as an "Unknown Network" or something, then i'll just enter network name and password.
Now, I have to wait till it automatically connects my own network.

Other notebooks in the house do not have such problems, so I guess its nothing to do with the router but my notebook network settings.

Any solutions?
Thanks.

·
TSF Emeritus
3,752 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF!
Try removing the wireless profile, which you can remove it from the clicking on the Network and viewing the properties. Then after removing it, try seeing if it displays in the list.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,352 Posts
Remove all the wireless network profiles, then run the following repair.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

After the restart, see if you can connect that way. If not, try a wired connection and see if that works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remove all the wireless network profiles, then run the following repair.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

After the restart, see if you can connect that way. If not, try a wired connection and see if that works.
Thought that would have worked, but it didnt :(. Thanks for the effort though.

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Hello. I'm using a notebook running windows vista and i have this problem.

The problem is that I can't seem to find my network / router in my "connect to a network" list. I used to be able to do it when it appeared as an "Unknown Network" or something, then i'll just enter network name and password.
Now, I have to wait till it automatically connects my own network.

Other notebooks in the house do not have such problems, so I guess its nothing to do with the router but my notebook network settings.

Any solutions?
Thanks.
Hi Primrose,

You may try updating your wireless ethernet driver or uninstall then re-install. Here's a simple guide.
Click on Start, right click My Computer => Properties => hardware tab => Device Manager => find your Network Adapters and expand it. right click on the Wireless Adapter and choose Update Driver. If you have an ethernet driver CD for your Wireless adapter have it ready. Choose Uninstall then re-install. Normally your Windows will do a Plug N play auto install for you, but just in case you might have your CD driver ready.

Please let us know.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,352 Posts
So, you're saying wired or wireless connections don't work? I'd be looking at security applications or firewalls.

Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking and see if a wired connection works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.