Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought two used westell versalink dsl modems. I bought one of them to run my grandmothers new laptop computer, and another to use with my Xbox 360. I ordered them both used off of Ebay.

That day, i took my modem from my home computer to her house to get her internet set up early for her. I plugged it all in, and it worked. I then put her wireless card into her computer and got her wireless working.

The next day, i took one of the used modems over to her house. I plugged it all in, like i had with the first one. It didn't work. It wouldn't connect to the internet via ethernet cord, nor wireless. Although it did show that it was emitting wireless internet - i could connect, but not surf the net.

The DSL light stays a solid green, the wireless light flashes green, and the internet light stays unlit.

On the second one, it just flashes red power, then flashes all of the other lights green. Back and forth, back and forth.

Is there some kind of settings i have to change to get the model to work, or are they both just bad modems?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
That's the joy of eBay, you never know what you'll get! Ask the seller if he/she takes returns or does exchanges. You may also need to call your ISP to have them add the new devices to your accounts.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Google the modem and try to download a users manual.
This sounds like a username/password reset for the DSL account in the modem software. Should be a IP you need to type in to access the set up in the modem (I have a different brand of modem, but I think they work pretty much the same)
The dsl light shows synch with the telco, and not having the internet light on pretty much means the correct username/password needs to be input.
Over on DSL reports forumboard, there are forums for different ISP's and they can give you more specific advice on set up if you arent able to get going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You do realize that you can only connect a single DSL modem to one phone line, right?
As a matter of fact, i did not. Thank you.
I guess that throw the idea of me using one for my Xbox, and one for my desktop.

Google the modem and try to download a users manual.
This sounds like a username/password reset for the DSL account in the modem software. Should be a IP you need to type in to access the set up in the modem (I have a different brand of modem, but I think they work pretty much the same)
The dsl light shows synch with the telco, and not having the internet light on pretty much means the correct username/password needs to be input.
Over on DSL reports forumboard, there are forums for different ISP's and they can give you more specific advice on set up if you arent able to get going.

This is more along the lines of what i was thinking. I don't think they would both be broken, as the first replier thought.

Thanks a lot man, you're very helpful. I'll look into it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.