Tech Support banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In early March, this year, I purchased a new gaming PC. Along with the store, I chose my components and parts and they put it together for me.

But the thing is, it keeps freezing whenever I play games (and sometimes when randomly using it). The type of freeze where everything stops, and a strange loud buzzing sound accompanies it.

I have tried updating all the drivers, re-installing the nvidia driver, manually updating to the most recent windows version, cleaning up temp files and corrupt files, nothing worked.

After this, I went to the store where I bought the parts and where the pc was assembled for testing and a diagnosis.

They performed the following tests:"Furmark 1h, Intel Burntest 1h, Unigine heaven 5 loop, Superposition 10min, CS:GO (10 rounds), Successful HDD and SSD tests".
Then telling me the hardware was all fine so it had to be a software/OS issue, recommending I re-install a fresh version of Windows.

I did this, but the issue continues exactly the same.

I'm losing my mind because it seems like I've covered every possible solution and nothing has worked. If you have any ideas or advice, please help!
My specs are as follows:
  • Processor: Intel core i9 9900 F 8 Core
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
  • Graphics card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
  • Ram: 32GB (16x2)
  • Power Source: Modular Corsair RM 750x 80+ Gold

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would look strongly at the video driver. Try uninstalling the video driver and keeping it at the basic MS driver and see if the freeze issue persists. If the freezing doesn't come back with teh basic driver, try an older version of the manufacturer's driver for your card. If this turned out to fix it, you need to tell Windows Update to leave your hardware alone. Right-click on This PC>Properties>Advanced System Settings>Hardware tab>Installation Settings, and tell it to never do hardware driver changes from Windows Update.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In early March, this year, I purchased a new gaming PC. Along with the store, I chose my components and parts and they put it together for me.

But the thing is, it keeps freezing whenever I play games (and sometimes when randomly using it). The type of freeze where everything stops, and a strange loud buzzing sound accompanies it.
Go to a website like
hardwareanalysis.com
and use the search field for
[ system debug procedure ]

When the solution isn't a quick solve, to debug a system it's best to start with as simple a hardware and/or software configuration as possible to isolate failing components. The above search will reveal a number of excellent debug protocols for debugging frozen systems, intermittent problems, and more.
HardwareAnalyais isn't very active these days, but it has a LOT of solid system debug and problem resolution methodologies in its database.

Another good site for peer advice is
tomshardware.com

·
Registered
31 Posts
spunk.funk said,
First try a Clean Boot.
The comments in the HardwareAnalysis.com search as shown do that and explain in great detail and take neophytes through the detailed steps of a clean boot and simplifying systems to more effectively debug systems exhibiting freezing and intermittent kinds of problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd first check my CPU and GPU temps while playing the game although I have a feeling it's a compatibility issue with the graphics card. Swap out the video card with another to see if the issue stops.

In the past when I've had weird freezing, BSOD's, or out of the blue rebooting issues it sometimes can be graphics card issues. One Tyan motherboard i had simply did not like Radeon graphics cards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a long-shot but I had a similar issue that perplexed for a long time a very experienced IT person who worked on it at my place and the remotely testing all sorts of things. I would get random freezes not specific to any program I was working with. If it occurred while some audio was playing I would get the loud buzz. Sometimes it would create a BSOD and create a crash file. But that did help much to find the cause.

He for weeks had some monitoring software installed trying to find clues. It was finally solved in a way that makes little sense to me but worked. He installed an additional Microsoft visual C redistribution program for a year or version I didn't have. I already had about 16 versions of it installed with different redistribution dates. The geeks here will know better but from what I understand some program may be that I had for years required a certain c redistribution program. However, we have no idea what program and doubt if I was using it when freezes occurred. Often I just had Chrome browser opens and maybe outlook 365. For whatever logical reason being unclear the freezes have stopped!

Early on his first guess was the video driver as someone here suggested. So went back to an earlier version etc but not the problem. Using Windows 10 latest updates and custom build PC with 16 GB Ram medium nvidia graphics SSD drives etc. He did lots of hardware testing and nothing was bad. I have never played any game - serious business use PC.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,143 Posts
There is a lot of info here, before you try them you need to start simple, go to Start-Run--Eventvwr.msc , (Windows Logs) check under System and Application for the timestamp when the freeze occured, and paste the a screenshot of the logs that near to the point of the crash. This will help us determine what we need to do rather than shooting in the dark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts