7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought new PC components:

Asus PRIME Z390M-PLUS
Intel i7 9700K
HyperX Fury HX432C16FB3K2/16 DIMM DDR4 (Kit 2x8GB) 16GB 3200MHzCL15 1Rx8
SSD Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (500 Go)

First I had a problem of computer not booing (no signal detected error)

Then I figured out that I should plug RAm sticks only in B1 and B2 slots. If i put Ram sticks in A1 and A2 it won't boot. So no dual channel possible.
Tried enabling XMP profile, it doesn't help.

·
Visiting Tech
1,475 Posts
Ummm, did you note the "System memory" section of your motherboard manual?

In section 1.4 on page 1-11, it clearly shows with two sticks of RAM, you use B2 and A2.

Reactions: bassfisher6522

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,463 Posts
Nice find/catch Bill!

To be honest....I've never understood that of configuration. Using 1 slot from each channerl. Well technically the same channel but divided. Why doesn't the mfg make it so that the slots for each channel are side by side and color coded as such. That would make more sense and super easy installing RAM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,
Thank you for your answers.
I tried B2+A2, I have no signal on the screen and in about 30 seconds computer reboots, then 30 secs later it reboots again, then it stays on still without any signal on my screen for at least several minutes, so I shut it down manually.

I had a similar issue on my old Asus DDR3 board, when I used MemOK button, it worked. On my new mother board Asus PRIME Z390M-PLUS it's no longer a button but a switch, tried it, but it doesn't change anything, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it's not on the list. But MEMok II swich should fix it, right ?
2 RAM sticks are detected and work properly in B1 and B2 slots and no errors in memtest86. But when it comes to A and A2, I have no signal on my screen...

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,554 Posts
Not sure if I have anything positive to add here but I have no luck with Hyper-X Kingston Ram and never use any Kingston Ram anymore that said I have had your exact experience on Asus boards as well where I luckily found an illogical way to make them work so I also avoid Asus boards lately for that and other opinion reasons. But the other thing we have to realize is there is so much more to making ram work on newer boards than simply speed and brand and it would seem to me these boards are just getting fussier every day is all so when I build for me, I only use ram tested for that board successfully or I switch boards as personally I am tired of this game that is almost impossible to figure out and the solution is use tested ram. Ram is the only component where I think it is necessary to do this though I also check to be certain the board suggests the cpu is compatible as well just to avoid that possible screw up, or find a Bios update necessary because someone shipped me the oldest version of the board.

·
283 Posts
My advice would be to go over your build slowly with your eyes. Remove the memory, ATX connector, CPU-PWR lead (8 pin) reseat them all again firmly but this time use one stick only in slot B2 for now. Also check your case/mobo standoff seating make sure your board is actually completely elevated sitting on top of the standoffs (board's bottom not touching the case anywhere).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts