Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have had a heck of a time setting up my new 2.6 intel 800mhz hyperthread chip in ANY configuration. I have REPLACED every component and power supply. I have used 3 different boards: ASUS P4C800 Deluxe, MSI 865PE Neo2 and an Intel D865 PEARL board. The PEARL board is my most recent attempt. My problem isn't with reboots like others have...my machine just locks up! SO.....just for fun....I disabled the Hyperthread....and.....I have had 49 hours of no lockups running a Battlefield 1942 Server. Don't know if turning off hyperthread works for anyone else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Clintfan....

I don't know if its the combination of components I am using or what.......just have to tinker with it I guess!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
After checking over at Intel, if I understand Hyper Threading correctly it basically allows a single processor to sometimes act like two processors, by executing instructions from different threads in parallel rather than in serial. Sounds nifty but I doubt it will buy you that much in terms of performance today.

The code in your apps has to be structured to take advantage of HT: they need to be compiled to be multithreaded, to create some parallelism in the executable code, by using a "Compiler for Hyper Threading Technology". Which they probably haven't been, since HT is still such a new thing! Maybe part of the O/S, but probably not the apps.

So.... if you're having trouble with it on, I say just switch it off for now and be happy with your box. You can always switch it back on again later.

-clintfan

·
Registered
139 Posts
clintfan said:
After checking over at Intel, if I understand Hyper Threading correctly it basically allows a single processor to sometimes act like two processors, by executing instructions from different threads in parallel rather than in serial. Sounds nifty but I doubt it will buy you that much in terms of performance today.

The code in your apps has to be structured to take advantage of: they need to be compiled to be multithreaded, to create some parallelism in the executable code, by using a "Compiler for Hyper Threading Technology". Which they probably haven't been, since HT is still such a new thing! Maybe part of the O/S, but probably not the apps.

-clintfan
I have the Intel D865PERL board with an Intel 2.4ocGB 800MHz FSB HT chip. It shows up as two seperate processors, just as it should. I have absolutley no issues whatsoever! What I did do as soon as I loaded Windows XP in is to update the chipset drivers. Also, Windows should automatically recognize and configure HT. You need do nothing in either BIOS or Windows. HT only works with WinXP. If you use anything else, you MUST disable HT in BIOS before loading another OS.

HT should also allow one to easily run two apps at the same time. I have found this to speed up my dual processing of audio files in Audition and SF.

What one really needs to be concerned with with this board are the memory sticks and their position. I'm using two 256 400DDR 3200 sticks, one in each set of DIMM sockets for the dual memory mode, and to bring the chip performance up to 800MHz. If you install two sticks in the same DIMM module, you will get a notice upon rebooting simply alerting you that it is not the best configuration, and you will see no performance increase.

How are your two 512 Corsair RAM sticks positioned?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just plugged my hyperthreading processor in and it was enabled and works properly automatically.
I have a p4p800-VM. I dont see anyone really mentioning trouble with the p4p800 series of boards unlike the p4c800.I guess I got lucky with this board. If i was a p4c800 purchaser Id be trying to exchange it for the p4p800 by now I reckon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have a Creative soundcard would you? These are known to have serious issues with SMP and SMT systems as their cards don't follow PCI specs and their drivers don't cope very with multithreadeded systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.