Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can some one please tell me what I can do to fix this problem...

I have Hyper- Threading Enabled in my Bios but when Windows XP Pro boots up, I show only one processor. In Task Manager it only shows one CPU, in device manager, I show no listing for any CPUs. 3DMark and SISandra both say that Hyper-Threading is disabled. Apparently it has been this way since I built this computer, I just never noticed. I have tried to update the driver under standard PC in Device Manager, but it says I'm using the best driver for my device already. Here are my specs...

Intel 3.0GHZ Prescott CPU
Abit IC7 MAX 3 Motherboard
Geil Ultra Platinum PC550 Dual Channel DDR ( 1 GIG, 4 sticks )
Maxtor DiamondMax9 160 SATA x2 ( RAID 0 array )
Gigabyte GV-R80T256V ( X800 PRO )
SB Audigy 2
Lite On DVD R/ RW CD R/ RW
Sony Floppy
Koolance case
Antec 430W PS
Windows XP PRO w/ SP2

I have the lastest updates for Windows, my BIOS, Video Card, etc.

If you need more info, just let me know

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I've been told that you need to have installed XP with hyper-threading enabled to have it active. I only have one machine with hyper-threading, and when I installed XP I made sure it was active in the BIOS, and it installed properly.

I did a search and I came up with this page: Enable Hyper-Threading on XP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info but it was unsuccesful. I found the listed files and copied them as described. I changed my Boot.ini and restarted. Everything was the same except now my screen will flash black once after windows loads. I still show only one CPU. I went into MSConfig after a couple of attempts and looked at the Boot.ini. It showed my new entry in the file but it had an option to set this Boot.ini as default, so I did. When I restarted, my computer would just POST over and over and over. I though Oh crap! I booted from my XP cd and went to recovery console and rebuilt my Boot.ini with botcfg. My computer booted up fine after that. I still have the screen blacking out once after loading and still show only one processor.
Could it be my RAID array screwing things up? I have 2 160GIG SATA on RAID 0 showing up as one logical drive 320GIGs. I noticed that the article you referenced was for people who upgraded their MB. This PC has been the same since the day I built it (with the exception of a video card upgrade). I was considering backing up the my documents folder and any other important data and re installing Windows, do you think this might solve the problem or would a complete reformat be better. ( ug, I can imagine the work already, I have about 80 GIGs of files already :sad: ) . Any more suggestions are appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.