Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have gained a humming noise when i now use my mic. It sounds like a background noise.

I did get a new PCI sound card to replace onboard ac,97.

Didnt keep the new card though (it was crap).

Mic was working fine before I even put the pci card in.

Beleive a driver for the sound card may have messed things up.

Thats what I think it is, but if you have any other thoughts on what it might be, then it will be much appreciated if you can help. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
'Hums' are normally caused by ungrounded/unearthed connections, or situations where earthloops exist. These rarely occure in straightforward PCI sound card hookups unless motherboard to chassis cabling is employed and practice is not strictly adhered to as stated by the manufacturers. And by this I don't mean it is necessarily deliberate.

If it is simply a sound card with jacks on it I would suggest re-seating the card to make sure all the connections are made securely.

If it is a sound card with cables that attach the output to the headphone/speaker sockets on the case via 'flyleads' then check to make sure the connections are going to the proper pins, and ensure the ground cable is connected as instructed. :4-thatsba

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
It could be a drive confilict.
So you might try this, With your MOB disk handy.
Go into Control panel, system, hardware, device manager under sound video and game controlers right click on c-media High Definition Audio device and disable it. Close out and restart your system when it finds new hardware have it look on the MOB disK for the drivers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.