Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was creating a custom theme for my desktop to match my favorite wallpaper. Some of the elements I chose like the active title bar were set to black while the other half was set to red. It started to look pretty good so I saved the theme. Then I thought Id do one more thing just to see how it looked but I accidentally clicked a different theme that made everything turn black. The only thing I could see was my desktop items and Start Button, but when I click on anything, menus and windows come up just black. I couldnt see anything to change my settings back so I rebooted hoping it wouldnt save the theme but it did. I tried to find the right theme and colors by clicking around blindly but nothing helped. I rebooted again and this time when the Windows XP Professional logo was on screen while windows was loading, my little cousin hit the power button on my PC which shut it down in the middle of loading. Now when I try to load windows normally it gets past the loading screen but goes straight to the Dumping Physical Memory Blue screen. I tried correcting the problem in safe mode but windows loads the black theme and I cant see anything. I tried loading windows in VGA mode but that also gave the memory dump screen.
Im hoping someone has some suggestions that may help me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I stated above... I tried loading windows in safe mode but it loads the black theme and I cant see any menus/words/anything important. Is there any other way to default the display settings in windows?

·
Registered
89 Posts
if you can, go to the themexp website and download a theme. if you are familiar with using the keyboard shortcuts, when the thing pops up and asks you if you wish to open or save the file, press "O" (for open). the thing is, since you have the black thing, i wouldn't know what the folder containing the ".exe" file for the theme would look like. but see if you can install a theme from the site. sorry if i didn't help, but i tried

·
Registered
89 Posts
i attached a. exe that is supposidly a theme. but all it did for me was put the "windows classic" theme. that might help you be able to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks, ill try to install the theme using blind keystrokes (if I can remember them :rolleyes: )
is it possible to install a theme in safe mode though? i didnt think you could install a program that made those kind of changes in safe mode. owell. guess ill find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How to change the theme via regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER-> Control Panel-> Current

Change the Colors Scheme string to "windows default" and reboot your computer.

I think that will work.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.