Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HTPC Final build check, please?

943 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ukiarskicker 
#1 · (Edited)
Finger on the trigger, hammer falls on Friday.

I know the limitations and down-side of the SSD (read lots about TRIM and Garbage Collection), but space isn't going to allow for 2 full-size drives (won't be bay-mounted) and the SSD will be OS only.

Anyhow, feedback please?

BD/DVD ROM
HDD
RAM
SSD
Hot Swap Bay
TV Tuner Card
MoBo
Peripheral PSU (lights/fans)

Case will be scratch built (by me), will worklog it in mods after I have my components and start.

Thank you! :pray:

#3 ·
Not sure about the Blu-Ray drive. Are you really going to be using it? I could have bought a Blu-Ray burner but seeying is that how I will only use dual layer DVDs at most, why bother. The mobo I am not a fan of. Not the company, but its type. But I am a gamer so that's why. Everything else looks good tho. One thing tho, your RAM is 1333 but the mobo only supports 800/1066, so the RAM is overpowering for the mobo. Unless you will upgrade the mobo later on, I suggest get a cheaper RAM.

#4 ·
Trigger is pulled! :4-toilet:

Machine is only for Home Theater, thus the BD/DVD ROM (to play/rip movies to HDD).

mITX form factor for space saving. Still plenty of power for a DVR/PVR, movie, and music server. Case is only 12.5"x4"x13". My only pervasive fear is the tuner card not fitting upright, but I can order a PCI extender if I have to. I already have 2 gaming/3D machines...not that this one can't play a few games, it just won't! (though I might tap it as a Render Node :grin:)

RAM was the cheapest DDR3 the Egg had that had a name on it I trusted and a 4Gb kit. Should work fine. If not? Can always RMA :4-dontkno.

Still hoping I can get away with Linux 64bit OS. We'll find out.

Thank you for the comments! :wave:

#5 ·
The RAM will work but it will not work as fast as it should, only what the mobo supports. Linux should still work on the system. Ive installed Linux on a very weak system and it worked fine, I just do not know Linux all to well. The 64bit I am not sure on this system, but hey, at install it will say whenever its compatible so no loss there. Besides that good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.