Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a website updating it etc. The owner wants to add the site to Froogle and others like it. They use text based upload like here .
Is there a way I can convert html into text to suit this layout as the owner has no real list of products with urls etc. Or am I going to have to type it all up?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I doubt that there are any progs out there that will allow you to do this (if there was, I recon it wouldn't let you do it easily).
The problem with HTML is that it's used to style a page. Therefore the tags are specific for styling content, not for specifying what certain information on a page represents; this is the reason we have XML. XML is fairly easy to parse and therefore an XML document can be transformed fairly easily into another XML document, text, etc by using tools which are already available such as XSLT. This is because its fairly easy to tell a computer to get a persons name from an XML file by just specifying to the tool that you want the content of the <name> tag and you want it at a particular location in the output file. However this is not so straight forward with HTML. With HTML, content is placed anywhere on the page and you essentially don't use any meta-data to describe what each bit represents.

Conclusion:
- If your skilled at programming you can always write your own parser. This could then be used to output a different format of the same file.
- If you have the information in XML, then you can always use the XML tools to perform transformations, or even use a XML Parser library written in Java for instance.
- If you have the information stored in a database, then you could always use tools that develop dynamic pages to query the database and construct your file.
- If the database system allows you, export the content as XML and use the tools mentioned above.

I really can't see how you would easily perform this task with raw HTML, but then again I could be wrong. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.