Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem I am hoping you can help me solve (in the best and cheapest way!)

I am one of the unfortunate folks that purchased an HP ZX5180US laptop.
This is one of the models that has the outlet jack power issue
(battery got so hot that it loosened the outlet jack so that the laptop no longer recognizes that it is plugged in to the outlet - even though it is).
Hence no power... (Battery won't charge, system won't recognize that it is plugged in)

The workaround that I have seen posted is to use the XC1000 media cable. However the postings are over a year old and the cable is no longer available from HP. E-bay listings are asking for $200-$300 for this item now.

I need to get my data, etc off of the hard drive - however the laptop does not have power. (I am getting a new laptop with the Vista OS).

What is the best way to access the data?
Can a tech "see" what is on the laptop even if the laptop isn't turned on (i.e. - has no power)?
Can I have the hard drive pulled from the dead laptop and put into an enclosure to be used / and accessed as an external hard drive?

There is also a cable that under normal circumstances can be used to migrate files and settings from an older OS (mine is XP) to the Vista OS / laptop. Would this work from a dead laptop or does it require power on the dead XP laptop to get the info over to the Vista laptop...

Any suggestions would be helpful... Or if anyone has a source for a cheap XC1000 media cable I would appreciate that as well.. (would love to "borrow" one even - and then I'd sent it back)

AnnMarie

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Hello and welcome to the TSF, the easiest thing to do would be to take the hdd out of the HP machine and put it in and external usb enclosure. You'll have to determine if the hdd is an older ATA (IDE) hdd or newer SATA, though I believe yours is IDE.
The enclosures do come in other colors.....
IDE Enclosure
SATA Enclosure

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.