Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Below is a screenshot documenting a problem I am having with HP Scanning. I have Windows 7 and I use the HP Photosmart C7280 all-in-one. I installed the most current/updated drivers and software (v.13 for Win7) from the HP website. I also installed the two updates shown on the same page. I ran HP update and verified that everything was up to date.

I found that I cannot scan properly with the preview window. As you see below, the scanning preview window (top left) opens to a small size which does not expand. The scanning preview window does not allow for any kind of cursor clicking. It's basically frozen in place.

Moreover, as a document scans, I get the error message you see below the top preview window. I uninstalled all the software and reinstalled FOUR times. Still, the same errors persist. I can scan any document or photo if it goes straight to a file without a preview window. After every scan, whether I try to use the preview window or not, I get another type of pop-up titled, "HP Scan Application Resources has stopped working." This pop up provides two options; "check onlilne for a solutin and close the program," or "close the program." I always have to click "close the program."

HP Online Support wasn't a viable option to resolve this.... I don't have a lot of luck with HP Online Support; they're very frustrating, but that's another issue.

I would really appreciate some guidance on how to resolve this annoying issue. If the image is crappy, I'll be happy to email a much better copy to you.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Re: Hp solution center for w7 - bugs??

You downloaded the 300 MB+ HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers.. correct?
One of the updates refers to Vista --> Windows 7 upgrade.
Did you run - "Utility - Diagnostic Tools (‏2)"

Are you Windows 7 x86 or x64?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...lc=en&cc=us&os=4062&product=3204785&sw_lang=&

I can't read the screenshots - too small.

Try these 3 places for additional information -

1. WERCON -
START | type view | "View all Problem Reports" | 2x-click on line item for additional crash info

2. Reliability Monitor -
START | type perfmon /rel

3. Event Viewer -
START | type eventvwr.msc | Custom Views | Administrative Events

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

I did install the latest full software directly from HP. I am x64. I'll look into that Diagnostic, but I belive it was performed. I'll let you know.

Sorry about the poor image. The most important window (HP Scanning) reads:

An Error occured in the scanning software. Try the following steps. After each step, try scanning again.

-
Restart the program.
- Reboot the computer.
- Reinstall the HP Photosmart Software that came with the device.

I forgot to note an additional observation/problem with the Solution Center v.13 software. I find that when I use the Solution Center to scan "Multiple Pages to (one) PDF," the image size in Adobe Acrobat will show as 33.33% when it actually takes up the entire screen and is, in fact, larger. When I scan to a single page PDF with the Solution Center, the PDF size is normal at about my default 189% which takes up the entire screen exactly as the multi-page 33.33% scan. The problem here is if I merge a single document with a multi-page document, the sizes are not the same. For example, the merged pages originating from a multi-page PDF Scan will be much smaller than the single page PDF's.

·
34,403 Posts

See if the onboard Windows 7 scanner does any better -
START | type wfs

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hp scanning & w7 nighmare never resolved

Friends;

I posted a topic long ago which never got resolved. I walked away from it out of frustration, but now, I'm hoping to give it one more go. Check out the link to the prior topic.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/hp-solution-center-for-w7-bugs-540030.html

In short, my HP Photosmart all in one only seems to work with the HP solution center app and only when scanning each page to a pdf without preview.. Any other scenario is hell.

I would be greatful for any advice that leads to resolving this nightmare.

·
34,403 Posts
Re: Hp scanning & w7 nighmare never resolved

I forgot to note an additional observation/problem with the Solution Center v.13 software. I find that when I use the Solution Center to scan "Multiple Pages to (one) PDF," the image size in Adobe Acrobat will show as 33.33% when it actually takes up the entire screen and is, in fact, larger. When I scan to a single page PDF with the Solution Center, the PDF size is normal at about my default 189% which takes up the entire screen exactly as the multi-page 33.33% scan. The problem here is if I merge a single document with a multi-page document, the sizes are not the same. For example, the merged pages originating from a multi-page PDF Scan will be much smaller than the single page PDF's.

I merged your old thread with new, given same issue exists.

The merging of PDFs occurs within Acrobat?

What version Acrobat are you using?

Have you tried to view multiple page scan on another system with latest version of Adobe Reader?

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm having these issues when scanning with the HP Solution Center. I used to love scanning straight from Adobe. I have Standard - v. 7. It worked great with older HP hardware/software packages. My preference would be to scan directly from Adobe. I think my problem is ocurring at the time of scanning because after that's done, it won't matter what v. of Adobe I use; the aforementioned issues will take place. Also, I don't believe Reader allows me to insert/delete pages from other pdf's???

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This problem has finally been resolved via the three following steps:

1. control panel
2. uninstall hp solution center
3. scan with adobe acrobat. never get near hp scanning again.

Previously, I couldn't get a scan with acrobat 7.1. There must have been some windows update over the past year that got a bug resolved or something... On a whim, I tried to scan with adobe today and it worked. Got rid of solution center very promptly. Too buggy, too large, too many steps, larger pdf sizes, lower quality images... happy to get rid of it. It actually made my day.

Thanks to everyone who attempted to assist me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.