Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading a HP Pavilion ZE4900 notebook for a friend - I replaced the current 256MB stick of RAM with (2) 512MB sticks of ram and now there is no video.

I removed the new memory and put the old memory back in but there is still no video and I also connected an exteranl monitor witht the same results.

There was no beep to indicate that it did not like the new memory modules. I removed the battery and AC power -- held down the power button for about 45 seconds to reset the system, but there is still no video when I re-power the unit.

I noticed a "reset" button on the bottom of the unit and I pressed and held that down for about 45 seconds using a paperclip but I get the same results.

Has anyone had this same issue with a similar HP laptop and if so, what was the solution to get the video back.

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this matter.

-JHH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No flashing cursor on either the LCD or external monitor - the LED's at the top of the keyboard all come on and remain lit.

If the video chip has indeed gone south - is there a fairly simple chip replacement or would we have to replace the entire motherboard?

Also, if the unit is turned on and I press the reset button the unit then powers off -- is that what it should be doing? If so, do I then need to remove the AC power and battery before attempting to power up again?

Thanks for your assistance.

--Juan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.