Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one person on here that looks to be having the same problem as I am.
Refer to...
http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=48381&highlight=pavilion

I'm starting to believe this to be a motherboard problem, but wanted to check around before I replace it.

I've just finished reformatting and restoring a HP Pavilion 752n because of this problem, I was hoping it was software related...

PC boots to Windows XP fine, and after a few seconds the monitor goes into standby and the hard drive activity light goes solid. This seems to happen the quickest when the PC is warmed up (been turned on for awhile). All fans are running fine. Power settings are set to Home/Desktop and all set to never. I even turned off Energy Star. BIOS does not have power settings to put computer into a standby mode, only setting is that you can have the PC turn back on after a power failure or stay off.

I restored last night from the restore partition, the computer had not been running for several days before that, and I left it up all night to see if it would do it again after the restore, everything looked fine until I got home from work this evening and started playing with it again to make sure installed programs were working. After I rebooted, the problem started back up again.

As I said, I believe this to be a heat related motherboard problem, but wanted to see if anyone else have found a cause for this problem yet.

Before the restore I had it up and running long enough to install the newest version of McAfee Virus Scan and found nothing on the main drive or the restore partition.

Please, has anyone ran into this and figured out the solution?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update... Must not be heat related. After trying to reboot again, Windows said there was a missing or corrupt file, it did not give the file name though. So I booted up to the System Restore partition and am currently doing a non-destructive restore and it have been up and running for about 15 minutes doing the restore. I am at a lose... Maybe a hard drive problem? As I stated before the hard drive activity light goes solid when it does lock up.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
d/l and run the h/d manufacturers diognostic utility on the h/d and if you have access to a xp disk run
sfc /scannow

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily I just happen to have Maxtor's CD from the last h/d I bought, and the HP also has a Maxtor drive in it. I ran the diagnostics and found a failing h/d.
I tried the low level format and it still came up with the error. I hope the h/d is all thats wrong with it.

Consider this one resolved, and thank you for pointing me in that direction. The only bad thing is HP puts the Windows install files on a hidden partition and this PC did not have an option to create CD's from it, so looks like I'll have to buy XP now when I get another h/d.

dai said:
d/l and run the h/d manufacturers diognostic utility on the h/d and if you have access to a xp disk run
sfc /scannow

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ onecuwldood
If you are the original owner of the PC, HP should supply/sell you a winXP disc for less than a new retail disc. They try and save money by doing the 'fallback hidden partition' thing, when they should supply the disc that you are paying for. Usually they offer the disc for an extra $10 or $20. Give them a call and see what happens..then let us know if this works out for you.

Just a note, I have used a HDD with some bad sectors before. It was in an older notebook with a 20GB HDD which kept failing to boot and having errors and corruption. What I did was reformat the HDD and then partition the HDD so the bad sectors were not used and installed windows on the good part. You are only able to use what you partition, but you can add the unallocated/unpartitioned part after setting up windows, and keep expanding the space until you run into the bad sectors. That way you aren't in danger of upsetting the winxp install. A bit risky tho...can't say if it will work for you, just thought I would share my experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, problem not solved after all. Tried another hard drive, partitioned and formatted fine, but after windows rebooted during installed the PC started doing the same thing.

I got to looking around at the motherboard and noticed the capacitors are looking a little swelled. I know IBM had a problem with some of their motherboards with swelling & blowing capacitors. I'm still thinking mother board.

Are there a real good shareware or freeware motherboard diagnostic available out there? I haven't messed with any diagnostic programs since QAPlus years ago. Not sure if it was really very good or not then.

please, thank you for the HP software tip. I ran across that on their site, but I'm not a fan of all the garbage they install on a PC so I'd image a disk from them would do the same. I do have XP Pro, it's just that this PC came with XP Home and I thought I'd take it back to that, no big deal though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.