Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to decide what computer system i should buy for mainly gaming as well as photo editing and just general computer home usage. I am stuck between an HP model and an Alienware model. (i did not include the dvd drive or other little things they both have) (best specs in bold)

HP has the following specs d4995t
$2700
Processor: Intel 3.0mhz Duo E6850
Ram: 4gb 800mhz sdram
Power source: 400watt
Harddrive: 800gb SATA 7200rpm
Vid card: 640MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
vista ultimate 64bit
24inch monitor

Alienware specs area 51, 7500
$3700
Processor: same
Ram: same
Harddrive: 160gb 10,000rpm SATA
Power source: 750watt
vid card: NVIDIA 8800 GTX single card
vista ultimage 32bit
24 inch monitor
liquid cooling

On paper it looks like the HP is just as good as the Alienware except for the power unit. I am worried that the HP is under powered and will burn up my high performance parts. What do you all think? Will i get a lot more performance and survivability from the alienware for having liquid cooling and paying more money?
Also i have seen the Dell XPS but it is expensive like the alienware and i like alienware better.

Just looking for thoughts on this

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
I guess the hp is better if you change the power supply. but thats extremely expensive for both of those. I couldnt imagine paying 3,700$ on a pc with only 160gb of memory. I would suggest you shop arround alot more, because those pcs are not worth that much. You can build a system better than both of those for much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
I also agree that a custom will give you more bang for your buck, but to answer your question.
Alienware uses better components than HP and Dell. (Atleast they use to)
So my ranking would be:
Alienware
HP
Dell

BTW, judging by the rigs you are looking at, I have to assume you're a gamer. If so, I would not recommend a 64bit OS, and if you're not running a 64bit OS then 4gb of RAM is overkill because 32bit OSs cannot address 4gb of RAM.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
=/ the problem is delll bought alienware.....
This is true, but Alienware alledgedly is still building thier own systems to thier own specs, and not using any Dell components. They do however offer Dell periphs, on thier website. You never know, and that's why I said "Atleast they use to".

As for ABS, they are the company that brings us all those fine Rosewill products. I just can't trust a company that would be involved in selling such low quality parts. :plthumbsd

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also agree that a custom will give you more bang for your buck, but to answer your question.
Alienware uses better components than HP and Dell. (Atleast they use to)
So my ranking would be:
Alienware
HP
Dell

BTW, judging by the rigs you are looking at, I have to assume you're a gamer. If so, I would not recommend a 64bit OS, and if you're not running a 64bit OS then 4gb of RAM is overkill because 32bit OSs cannot address 4gb of RAM.
From an architectural stand point, YES 32 bit OS's can support up to 4GB of memory, however 32 bit xp can only support 3gb for some strange reason

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is true, but Alienware alledgedly is still building thier own systems to thier own specs, and not using any Dell components. They do however offer Dell periphs, on thier website. You never know, and that's why I said "Atleast they use to".

As for ABS, they are the company that brings us all those fine Rosewill products. I just can't trust a company that would be involved in selling such low quality parts. :plthumbsd
Are you insinuating that dell parts are any better than rosewill? I think not.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
From an architectural stand point, YES 32 bit OS's can support up to 4GB of memory, however 32 bit xp can only support 3gb for some strange reason
That's what I said. Part of the RAM is reserved for system resources. The more hardware add ons your system has the more RAM it will take. On the average sytem the RAM available to Windows is about 3.2gbs, but it can be between 2.5gbs and 3.5gbs roughly.

Are you insinuating that dell parts are any better than rosewill? I think not.
No I was merely pointing out that Rosewill is the house brand of ABS, which makes ABS a questionable company. Since you brought it up, Dell is way better than Rosewill.

·
Registered
344 Posts
- "Since you brought it up, Dell is way better than Rosewill."

Hehe.. I guess we'll have to disagree on that then. You obviously don't work for a company that implements Dell products. I do, and I see it's crappiness every single day. I can't tell you the countless times we've received hundreds of new dell 240/270's with bad psu/mb, and it was an entire defective batch, not just a few. Of course they warrantied it and replaced the defective parts, but it still comes to show how bottom line their parts are.

Ive used Rosewill stuff for quite a few years now. No, they don't make high quality computing hardware (which you should not expect for the price), but it's still miles better than Dell.

:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ah, are you specifically speaking about rosewil power supplies? They are trash.... But they make decent budget cases, case/cpu fans and other accessories

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with Alienware guys. I initially went with AMD processor but quickly changed my order to Intel processor when i read more about how hot the AMDs run compared to intels.

Well, alienware screwed up the order change LOL, been two weeks and they still haven't starting building it :4-dontkno

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.