Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys This problem is driving me nuts!!

My HP Officejet (all-in-one) 6310 keeps throwing up a small window saying 'Your HP Officejet 6300 series Disconnected' then seconds later it says its connected again, then its disconnected and then connected and on and on and on it goes. If the HP window had a counter on it, I could probably use it as a clock it comes and goes so often. I wouldn't mind so much if the little window didn't keep popping up every few seconds.

Now the printer has decided to stop printing half way thru a page, and sits there for 5-10 minutes until it decides to carry on printing?

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the HP software, checked all the connections, and I'm now totally lost as what to do next.

Please help guys, before I go insane!!!

The printer is connected to my Acer 5720 laptop thru my wireless router via a network cable, so my grandson can use the printer wirelessly when he comes over with his laptop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Guys
I'm sorry but I'm a bit thick when it comes to IP addresses, could never get my head round them. So if you could give me a clue how to go about this I would be most grateful. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, thx for the reply.
I have an Acer 5720 laptop, running Vista Premium 32bit, 320Gb hard drive and 2.5Gb ram.

The laptop is connected to a Sitecom wireless router via ethernet cable and then to the printer via ethernet cable.
(The printer is on the otherside of the room)

Its been done this way so my grandson can use my broadband connection and printer when he brings his laptop over.

The problem arose a few months ago, but I can't seem to put my finger on what caused it, I have a feeling it was an update from HP, but I'm not sure.

My only solution up to now is to disconnect the printer ethernet cable from the router, to stop the little window popping up every few seconds, otherwise it drives you nuts!

Thanks again
Paul

·
Registered
618 Posts
Press the setup button on the printer, use the arrow keys and look for Network and press OK. Inside network print a network configuration page so you can see the ip address of your printer. If you already have the ip address of your printer, go back to setup\network and press OK. Look for IP settings and press OK. Choose manual instead of automatic. Enter the ip address there manually as well as the default gateway which you can see on the network configuration page that the printer printed awhile ago.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Note: If you manually set the printer's IP, make sure that it is outside of your router's DHCP range. Otherwise you may run into an issue with duplicate IP's on your network.

A trick I often use with printers in DHCP networks:
Open the printer's property sheet >> add a new standard TCP/IP port configured to the printer host name. Read the hostname (HP printers are usually in the form NPIxxxxxx ) on the printer's net config sheet.

Using this method means that you always connect to the printer even if its IP changes (which may happen with dynamic config)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.