Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HP notebook(XP Home) that stop booting windows a while back after it crashed during an SP2 install. It does not boot from any mode in the advanced menu(safe, command, last known good config, etc.). I can't boot from my Knoppix disk because it says that there is a checksum error, even though I can boot from the same Knoppix disk on my desktop fine. Mind you this laptop has only a CDRW/DVDROM combo drive, no floppy or zip. I finally found my XP setup cd recently and tried to boot from it to perform a repair or access the recovery console, if it's possible. The problem is it won't even boot from that. It gives me the "NTLDR missing, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" message when I boot from the Win Xp setup cd. I have read about some of the solutions involving a floppy boot disk, but I only have a cdrw/dvdrom combo drive to work with. Anybody have any ideas how to resolve this so I can boot the setup disk and run a repair?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Make sure your boot sequence in the BIOS is set to boot from the cdrw/dvdrom drive first. Place in your disc and reboot.
Normally tapping the Delete key at boot will take you into the BIOS

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geekgirl said:
Make sure your boot sequence in the BIOS is set to boot from the cdrw/dvdrom drive first. Place in your disc and reboot.
Normally tapping the Delete key at boot will take you into the BIOS
It is set to boot the cd drive first, is there anything else to check? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.