Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I am not the most tech savvy individual in the world but I'm going to have a go at explaining what is wrong and see if anyone can help me.

Last night the screen turned into a bunch of horizontal distorted lines and it would not respond to any keys, mouse clicks, etc. The only thing I could do was hold down the power button and shut it off.

I restarted it and it seemed fine, so I decided to run my tune-up program which runs disc cleanup, defrag, and virus scan. Before it could finish the same distorted lines came up but ran diagonally. Again it wouldn't let me do anything but power off.

Now, I press the power button, the light comes on, the fan comes on, and the disc drive clicks like its checking for a disc but that's all that happens. It doesn't even start to boot up. I tried putting in a recovery disc, and it tried to read the disc, as in it clicked and I could hear it spinning, but then it clicked again and stopped, so it won't even boot from the disc.

I have been told it may be the motherboard, or BIOS being messed up, but I haven't touched that, and wouldn't even know how. Also, I have heard things like it may be ram, hard drive, etc. I am really hoping it isn't the hard drive and was wondering if anyone could confirm what might be wrong with it or could tell me how to find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how to be more exact, my computer is the dv2000. That's really all I know in regards to model number. Another thing to point out is that the battery light is not coming on at all either, with or without the adapter being plugged in. Could it be the battery? I had someone who knows a lot more about computers than me take it apart and they said the motherboard looks fine. They also tried pressing the CMOS button to see if that did anything. I'm still at square one and wondering what it could be. I'm going to take it into a repair shop later today, but was wondering if anybody could help me confirm a particular problem. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.