Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

First, I'd like to start out by saying that I know little to nothing about computers but decided to check out some online help to see if this was something that I could easily fix before I take it to the Geek Squad.

So I have an HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop running windows vista. If it makes a difference, It has an AMD Turion X2 processor.

I am writing this from the computer which is currently running in safe mode with networking enabled. This is the only way my computer will fully boot up.

If I attempt a normal startup, everything will go as it normally does until around the time I reach the login screen. Shortly after that, the screen turns black. No beeps or any other sound or indication that anything has changed, just the screen going black.

If I am fast enough, I can click my profile icon and start to type my password but the screen usually goes black before I can finish.

This morning, however, I was quick enough to type my password and hit enter. There was my desktop and everything seemed normal until I tried to open my internet browser, then it turned black.

So what's up with my computer and is it easily fixable?

Thanks!

·
TSF - Enthusiast
15,298 Posts
Sound like you may have a driver issue.

While in Safe Mode uninstall the graphics driver.

Attempt to boot into Normal mode. If successful install the latest graphics driver for your laptop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.