Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 HP J4560 All-in-One printer/scanner/fax, installed back in Win XP time. As I upgraded Win to 10 over the years, the device worked fine. I used it almost exclusively for the scanner, since I have a separate laser printer.
Recently, I got a corrupted OS file and had to have the Geek Squad reinstall Win 10, including wiping the hard drive. I restored "all" my files through Carbonite. But now the J4560 will not work. It is recognized by Win 10 in the Device Manager, but no driver is installed.
I have the original HP software disk, but when I tried to install the driver, I got an error message that the installation process is not compatible with the current OS. I infer that the installation process itself is the problem, not the driver.
Anyone have any ideas how to get my device working? Is there some Win 10 compatible generic scanner or printer/scanner driver I can get?

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,851 Posts
There is no driver required for the J4560. If the printer is listed in the Device Manager, then it is working. Go to Settings/Devices/Printers and Faxes is the printer listed there as well?
You just need to install Scanner software. You can download J4580 software and driver and it will work just as well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no driver required for the J4560. If the printer is listed in the Device Manager, then it is working. Go to Settings/Devices/Printers and Faxes is the printer listed there as well?
You just need to install Scanner software. You can download J4580 software and driver and it will work just as well
Spunk.funk: Thanks, but when I try to download "J4500 series driver" I can get only "HP Print and Scan Doctor", which tells me there is no driver installed. And so on in an infinite loop. The printer is listed in both Device Manager and Settings/Devices/Printers and Faxes, but that seems to make no difference.
Oscer1: Thanks, but when I right click on Properties for the listed printer, I get only into the same infinite loop described above.

Anyone have any other approaches to try? I hate to just throw away this perfectly workable device!

·
Global Moderator
42,851 Posts
In Printers and Faxes if the printer is Not greyed out, then it is working as a printer. You can right click the printer and choose Properties/Print Test Page. If that works then The printer should be a printer you can select in any document in Word or any other document and choose File/Print.
In Printers and Faxes. If the printer is greyed out, you can go to the Toolbar and click Add Printer or Device and it should find the printer and install the Windows driver.
If none of this works, then post in the HP forum for better results.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a screen shot of my printer list. The message "Driver is unavailable" is greyed out. right clicking does not bring up "Properties". I have posted on HP Forum. Thanks for your suggestion about that.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system Software

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much for your continued attention to my plight.
I clicked on the link. It took me to the "Driver Booster 6" website. I clicked on "download" and it downloaded something and then ran a "scan" (I guess looking for drivers). Here is a screen shot of part of the result: Note the first two items on the displayed list (only a small part of the whole list) are shown as "up to date"
Screenshot Font Software Multimedia Technology

Now what do I do? I checked Settings, and the HP printer is still shown as "driver is unavailable".
Sorry to be such a difficult problem. I am willing to try anything you suggest.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,789 Posts
Thanks very much for your continued attention to my plight.
I clicked on the link. It took me to the "Driver Booster 6" website. I clicked on "download" and it downloaded something and then ran a "scan" (I guess looking for drivers). Here is a screen shot of part of the result: Note the first two items on the displayed list (only a small part of the whole list) are shown as "up to date"
View attachment 332065

Now what do I do? I checked Settings, and the HP printer is still shown as "driver is unavailable".
Sorry to be such a difficult problem. I am willing to try anything you suggest.

·
14,789 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
go to the link in post #10. it should detect that you are using Windows 10. If not select "Choose a different OS" link then select "HP Print and Scan Doctor " and download it. While on the page you can download the basic driver or the setup utility.

You cant use the original CD as it would have Windows 10 drivers on it.

·
Global Moderator
42,851 Posts
I'm sorry I recommended Driver Booster, it was not my intention. Anyways, ignore all of the other outdated drivers and if the HP Printer is listed, then click the Download button next to it. Once that is done, uninstall Driver Booster it is not useful for anything else

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is a screen shot of my printer list. The message "Driver is unavailable" is greyed out. right clicking does not bring up "Properties". I have posted on HP Forum. Thanks for your suggestion about that.
View attachment 332052
I think you are suffering from the dreaded Microsoft plot to rid the world of old devices! Have had several clients with the same problem, especially with HP printers.
Go to the HP site and download the BASIC DRIVER for your J4560.
Delete all reference to the 4560 from your computer (ie remove the printer in the settings table and use the HP software (or Windows apps or CCleaner) to uninstall any HP software that relates to the 4560. Remove the printer from the computer (ie disconnect). Restart your computer. Remove the Run the basic driver install to setup the printer (connect it when instructed).
DO NOT INSTALL HP SMART - it is a pile of crap for older printers.
Once the printer is working OK, go back to the HP site and download the scanner software from

Run the scanner driver. See if you can get a scan working.
If not, run the HP Print and Scan Doctor again - it should allow you to "find" the scanner driver.

HP is not a happy place at the moment - their printers may be good but their software is garbage.

Regards

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think you are suffering from the dreaded Microsoft plot to rid the world of old devices! Have had several clients with the same problem, especially with HP printers.
Go to the HP site and download the BASIC DRIVER for your J4560.
Delete all reference to the 4560 from your computer (ie remove the printer in the settings table and use the HP software (or Windows apps or CCleaner) to uninstall any HP software that relates to the 4560. Remove the printer from the computer (ie disconnect). Restart your computer. Remove the Run the basic driver install to setup the printer (connect it when instructed).
DO NOT INSTALL HP SMART - it is a pile of crap for older printers.
Once the printer is working OK, go back to the HP site and download the scanner software from

Run the scanner driver. See if you can get a scan working.
If not, run the HP Print and Scan Doctor again - it should allow you to "find" the scanner driver.

HP is not a happy place at the moment - their printers may be good but their software is garbage.

Regards
Get the drivers from HP (whatever is the latest) and D/L to the desktop. Extract to a folder. Unplug the printer from the computer. Uninstall the current printer & any drivers/software.

Disconnect from the internet. Either kill the wifi/LAN or turn off your router. Restart the computer. On reboot, run the software in compatibility mode for the last OS supported. Wait for the software to ask you to plug in your printer. Sometimes, it takes getting it offline so it doesn't run out for the wrong driver.

·
14,789 Posts
Not only is HP software garbage IMHO, it also has frequently included various programs dubbed as "spyware" and they are also notorious for not doing a very good job of providing support and drivers for older printers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Uninstall the current printer driver.

If you have a 64bit motherboard then download the HP Print and Scan Doctor from HP's J4560 drivers page here - Diagnostic Utility
Next download the full installer from from the same HP drivers page - Full installer

Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor and follow prompts

If that doesn't work then uninstall the driver again then run the full installer.

You didn't say what software you were using to scan documents in to. If older Adobe products, CS6 and eariler, there's a twain plugin that needs to put in the plugi-ns folder of the suites included 32bit applications. I don't know if the Creative Cloud versions support twain after Creative Suite 6.

Although I agree with some sentiments about HP's software, there scanner dialog interface is a very useful tool. I'm still using CS6 non-subscription and the twain plugin only works with the 32bit versions included in the suite. Your stuck with Microsoft's implementation for the 64 bit apps.

I've had similar problems with drivers and software not working if doing a new install with windows10 where the same software/drivers continued to work when upgrading from an earlier version of windows to windows 10.

You shouldn't have to install the older OS then all the old software to then upgrade to windows 10 to carry forward those older apps.

It looks like Microsoft is indeed going to follow Apples strategy of limiting old software in each version of their new OS's. It's shameful

·
14,789 Posts
I really don't understand the needed ever to install older versions of Windows 10 to install anything new or old
and have never even had the thought to fix an issue. I would strongly advise to avoid "Print and Scan Doctor" or any such tool, it is so simple to uninstall current software from HP and install proper drivers listed in at least 3 posts before this one.
If you want to be sure you totally uninstall old HP software, Revo Uninstaller has a portable uninstaller that gets it all.
as Windowsd Uninstaller is not the best at total removal of anything IMHO.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here we go -- Using an uninstaller is the worst advice to give someone. I've tried many of the free uninstallers and in the long run they do more damage to a operating system then any offering from HP.

The only uninstaller I would ever recommend is one that records changes to the the OS during installation of the software. But those also have issues. If using an uninstaller tool that monitors installations you have to make sure you don't do any other task like create a file or run another program while waiting for the installer to finish as it will record that instance as part to the software installation and can remove portions of that app or remove the file you created during the install if later you run the uninstaller.

Rich M. Thing that I don't understand about your post is how you can say "it is so simple to uninstall current software from HP" in the same sentence with "avoid "Print and Scan Doctor"" like it's some kind of malware. Then recommend a third party uninstaller. Just ridiculous in my opinion.

willodene also recommended CCleaner which is another program I have found that will actually damage the OS in the long run. Do not use it. The only software I'd recommend on the Ccleaner website is Defaggler which is for regular HDD's.

Recommending these 2 apps,Revo and CCleaner, is simply bad advice IMO. In the long run using any uninstaller or Ccleaner will require a system wipe of the OS or at least an upgrade install to the same version of windows to fix the deleted files or deleted registry entries.

Two ways to go here IMO.

1. reinstall the older Windows OS to see if the printer driver can be installed correctly. Then do upgrade installs to get back to the latest version of Windows 10. Yeah, a lot of work.
or
2. take it back to geek squad and have them fix it.

·
14,789 Posts
Take it back to Geek Squad and have them fix it? Yes by all means they have made my business successful with all their botched jobs! Marvelous advice!
HP software to me is more troublesome than most other software. Through the years if I had a quarter for every system "borked" by HP installed spyware, I would not have to work.I agree
I agree though CCleaner has blown away more than enough Windows installations for my use but not Revo. Now I believe in it so much I use the paid version however it isn't that different from the free one I just like to support good products.
Reinstalling Windows 10 to an earelier version to install something and then update to newest version is about as ridiculous IMHO as anything I have ever heard of. I sure wouldn't be doing that especially not if it won't install properly into the current version but I don't see where the old has been uninstalled and the correct new driver installed to even determine what works and what doesn't yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really appreciate all the suggestions for solving this problem. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions worked.
I have finally solved the problem with the help of Geek Squad. I guess I could have done it myself, but they were helpful.
I first uninstalled the printer and deleted any files and directories with "HP" as part of the name. I unplugged the printer from the PC and the power.
Using Google.com, I searched for "HP OJ4580 driver". The resulting list includes "printerdriver.com". In that website find the J4580 driver and download it. An installer is included and must be used (I think). Anyway, after some time (file is over 200 MB), I opened it and went through the whole installation process for hardware and software. Then I rebooted.
On the desktop is an icon for "HP Solution Center", which is what I was using before all this started.
And it works!!!
Thanks again to all of you who tried to help. Hopefully, someone else can benefit from this experience.
How do I mark this thread as "solved"?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts