Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I plug the power cord into the notebook the light doesn't even turn on. I'm trying to figure out some way of getting the information off of the laptop without having to drag it to a computer repair place.

If I put a working battery into the notebook it works (based on my old battery having kept it going until the battery died...I didn't notice it was running off battery power until it was too late). The thing is, I don't have a way of charging the battery and don't have a back-up.

I've heard something about USB adapters that can access the "dead" laptop and get information off of it. Is this true? If not, what would you suggest? I've thought of buying a used laptop of the same type just to charge a battery but that can be a bit expensive so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
If you have a multimeter you can check to see if the charger is providing power. If it is not, replacement chargers are not all that expensive.

Example (make sure the output and polarity of the replacement charger is identical to your current charger):

hp g71-340us charger | eBay

You also could get a hard drive enclosure for the laptop's drive and access it on another computer. However, the cost would be more than a laptop charger, if this is the problem (and it's not in the laptop's circuitry).

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
MPR gave you good advice here. The USB adapter rescue method will only work if the laptop has power, and if you have more than a few GB of data (docs, pics, music, videos etc.); even a 2-3 hr. battery won't be enough time to copy all your data off the hard drive. Getting another AC adapter will let you use this method. Be careful not to buy these adapters from China however, as they can fry your laptop due to low quality components.

You can get a SATA-to-usb drive adapter (we call them "drive-caddy's") for under $20 at Newegg or similar as here: Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter CB-ISATAU2 - Newegg.com
This allows you to remove your hard drive from the laptop and connect to another working laptop or desktop computer you have in your home or a friend or family-member and access the hard drive; and copy your files over to their computer. Once the files are there on the 2nd computer; you can copy again to flash drive, cd/dvd discs, or online Cloud Storage account such as dropbox, one-drive, or similar. Under $20 cost of the drive-caddy is how many of us techs do it, and it's half the price of a permanent hard drive enclosure that MPR mentions.

You can do both for around $30 yourself; cost to repair that laptop and do data recovery at most places would be $60-$100 or more. That's labor and parts.

Personally, I would recommend pursuing the drive-caddy option 1st; since if you get a poor quality replacement AC adapter and it bricks your Motherboard, it can also destroy your hard drive, and you'll never get your data off that hard drive! (except for Professional Data Recovery, and that's expensive--starts at $250 and can take up to 9 weeks to get your data back). THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE AT LEAST 2 BACKUPS FROM NOW ON!!!

Good Luck,
BIGBJEARJEDI

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ordered the SATA-to-usb, will update when it arrives and let everyone know how it goes! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recovered everything I needed and even a bunch of other stuff with barely any fuss! Thank you so much for the recommendation!

I even tried to access a different hard drive that suffers from the "click of death" but no success there. I wish there was a solution for that issue, the hard drive is so old that it would be like unlocking a time capsule from the past! But at least there was some success to be had.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Recovered everything I needed and even a bunch of other stuff with barely any fuss! Thank you so much for the recommendation! :rofl:
>>>You're welcome!! Quite glad to help!<<<

I even tried to access a different hard drive that suffers from the "click of death" but no success there. I wish there was a solution for that issue, the hard drive is so old that it would be like unlocking a time capsule from the past! But at least there was some success to be had.
>>>There is a solution for that 2nd drive; and it's called Professional Data Recovery! I mention this in Post #3, and it starts at $250. However this solution requires lots of cash and it has to be sent out from your home and shipped to a Company. I'm guessing that's not the solution you're looking for. But, data can still be recovered from that old drive; it's sent to a special factory where they completely disassemble the drive in a Clean-Room environment (that's the same kind of environment they assemble NASA spacecraft in), and use forensics recovery methods to take the data off of the actual disk surfaces. Their recovery success is about 70%-98% on drives that don't operate anymore including drives that don't even spin up. Which includes drives that have the "click of death" or drives that have "continuous clicking" or drives that do NOTHING! Your comment about it not being possible, needs to be re-stated as "not being possible for the amount of cash you are willing to spend on data recovery options". Post back if you are interested in pursuing that option on this 2nd drive, and I will tell you the names of the 2 companies. :wink:
Cheers-BBJ<<<

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.