Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:upset:My HP Pavilion DV9000 (9035nr) stopped working. When switch on, LED Backlit is on, all the lights are on, able to see hard disk/keyboard all working. I tried connecting external monitor and could see system boots up, Windows boot screen appears, then it struck somewhere, so cannot log on windows. I had to press power button to switch off. Also, in the external monitor, the display is very scrambled, lot of dots/vertical lines, hard to see the things. I am able to log on windows safe mode (using external monitor) and but not in regular mode. I tried remove battery, remove memory & reinstall, etc., nothing worked. Tried HP recovery, was able to reformat/reinstall everything through PC recovery at startup but still the same problem, NO DISPLAY on LAPTOP SCREEN and external display is not proper, and struck after windows boot up. Now I cannot try safe mode, as windows XP is not setup after recovery. One strange thing I notice (when connected external monitor, obviously), it does not show usual HP logo , instead it shows some boot up text in the screen (just a sec, cannot read anything), then blank for a moment and windows logo (Scrambled).

It looks like some Graphics Card issue or mother board problem. This laptop is out of warranty so trying to fix myself. I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Thanks in advance.

HP Pavilion DV9035nr - Intel Core2duo - NVIDIA GeForce - 160 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, etc.,

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
From the sounds of it you will need to replace the motherboard.
The graphics card is part of the motherboard so it cannot be replaced separately.

What is your model number?

I would demand to speak to a Case Manager and refer him to these complaints:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service...47626+1259184168059+28353475&threadId=1260549

And

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service...47627+1259186274446+28353475&threadId=1274587

And

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-10020782-33.html?tag=mncol;tback

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Bill.

My Model Number is as below:

HP Pavilion dv9000
Version: dv9035nr
s/n: CNF6452KG2
p/n RG343UA#ABA

Windows XP Media Center edition 2005

Graphics Card: nVIDIA Goforce GO7600

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
No, It does not show up in the recall, but I would still talk to a case manager.
If they state it does not, then reply back saying you did it for others
See this link:
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service...47627+1259188295743+28353475&threadId=1260549

G.R. Johnson Jan 8, 2009 01:41:25 GMT Unassigned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I finally got a response from HP that might open some windows I hope.
Mine died after 14 months I've been calling/e-mail HP since the end of October but still no help with the extended service because I have the Intel processor. I finally did a live chat to be told after a hour that I was not under warranty (really).
They sent me a survey which I gave all 0's to and explained my situation.
Today I got a call and an E-mail from HP stating, "Yes there were issues with the motherboard for the unit I purchased (dv9340) and EVERYONE who had purchased a unit with a defective motherboard (and any defects related) were entitled to a 1 time service enhancement for a free repair". It was good for 15 months but they're telling me that my 15 months expired December 1st. I knew that early on which is why I've been calling since the end of October so there not going to get off that easy.
She also states that all case managers have been fully empowered by HP handle and correct this issue.
At least they're admitting it now for all of these units but as usual still trying to wiggle out of it.
I hope this helps someone else in their
quest to get this corrected. She actually left her phone # which I'll call tomorrow.

G.R. Johnson Jan 8, 2009 16:12:53 GMT Unassigned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, after all this HP agreed to fix my laptop.
Lesson learned is to make sure and get a casr manager involved.
Wish you luck.
Bill

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Hint:
If the first case manager does not help you, then call back at a different time and ask to speak to another case manager.
Make sure if they agree to fix it you write down the name and phone number of the case manager and the incident report number.

Also, more than likely (if they do fix it) they will reformat your computer.
So try to backup your personal data before you ship it in for repair.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks,
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.