Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a HP Pavilion 1250.u.k. computer running Windows XP Sp.2
I have been using a hp psc 1205 all-in-one printer untill this weekend when I upgraded to a hp Photosmart C4200 all-in-one.
However, i find that I cannot uninstall my old printer's software (hp photo & imaging 2.0 - hp psc 1200 series)
When I go to my add/remove software in the control panel and highlight this programme, the screen flickers only when I press the remove button.
When i go to Start/All programs/Hewlett Packard and choose the fHP PSC 1200 Series folder and choose the uninstall button, there is a momentary "sand" symbol and then nothing.
As far as i know, these are the two methods only for removing old programmes.

During the installation of my new printer, from the printer's Installation CD, it gave me the option of removing the old printer's software which I did. However, it still appreas on both lists mentioned above. It also shows in my C drive in the Windows Explorer under HP 1205 with all sub-folders.

I restored my system to a date of a few weeks ago and the result is the same.
Should i manually delete the HP 1205 folder from my C drive in Windows Explorer?

Best regards

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You could try running the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility on your computer. Download the Cleanup Utility, install it, and then select the software program from the list that you want to remove. This will remove the program's registry entries from the computer. After running, check that the program no longer appears in add/remove programs.

Does the program you want to remove normally run when you start the computer? If yes, reboot after running the cleanup utility. Make sure the program is not running after reboot. If it is not running you can remove the files from the C:\Program Files folder for that program.

BMR777

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brandon,
Thank you for your reply.
I have installed the Cleanup Utility as described.
I then selected the 1205 software and removed it and re-booted my computer.
However, it is still showing up on the Add/Remove screen as before but is not showing up on the Cleanup Utility screen anymore.
Could it be that a copy of the software is still showing on the Add/Remove screen, say, from a System restore folder?

I think I'll ignore it as it's not causing me any serious problems, just taking uo about 400MB memory space.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.

I just registered here and was amazed that the first thing I see is this post. I have been having the same problem. I have a HP Photosmart C6100 All-In-One. It started malfunctioning after I attempted to delete another printers software. In doing so, my software for my HP started acting up. I have been trying to uninstall so I could reinstall it. I am unable to fix it. I can not use my scanner part of the software. I took the exact steps as the orginal person who posted here and it also flashed on me, I also tried to uninstall through Start and program then HP to uninstall. My results are the same. I also tried with the orginal CD. And yes, I also went to a restore point that was before the other printer was installed. I did try to do a clean up but was not able to fix the problem.

Goodness, sounds like HP has problems with their software on these printers, if this is happening to others too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow! I had the same problem and googled it which got me here. I used the Windows Installer Cleaner utility you suggested and it removed the HP item from Add/Remove. Needless to say I immediately registered myself on this site!

Thanks!!!!!

:wink::wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never worked for me! After a week of fighting this, I guess I'm going to give up and reformat the hard drive. :upset:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem here times 4. I just bought HP6130xi all in one. I have 4 computers connected to a router so I needed to install on each one.

Computer one XP: took several trys before the installation disk would work, finally installed. Printer worked, fax test failed, scanner wouldn't work.

Computer two XP: install disk would not work at all. HP had me download it. Working so far.

Computer three XP: Install disk worked then cd drive crashed and The computer runs really slow.Takes forever to startup and shut down.

Computer 4 Vista (different install disk) works fine as far as I can tell havent had time to use it much.

After 2 hours with HP tech

computer 1 XP and IE explorer would not work correctly and CD drive crashed. Went back to a restore point and got cd back. Dell tech support finally had me run system rapair utility which took XP & IE back to original. All day doing this and another day downloading updates, it works.

Tried to uninstall HP and it won't, add/remove wouldnt work, called HP tech support again told the I wanted everything HP off of this computer. They had me delete icons form desktop, control panel printers and faxes, and remove HP items fron the registry. IT STILL SHOWS UP IN ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

I could keep going but I'm sure you get the picture. Every time we get one thing fixed another goes bad. Might have to reformat #3 yet. This thing is going back and I will never buy HP again.

Also have problems with HP 8250 the only one that works well is the 5940 probably the cheapest one they make.

Google brought me here as well YAY google.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Computer three XP: Install disk worked then cd drive crashed and The computer runs really slow.Takes forever to startup and shut down.
Try going to Start > Run and type "msconfig" w/o quotes. Then go to the Startup tab and look for anything related to the HP printer and uncheck and reboot. If the software is trying to load on boot this process should fix that and speed things up for you.

Did you try running the clean up utility as mentioned above?

I would think that you should be able to just install the drivers for the printer and then use Windows built in Scanners and Cameras option to use. Using the Scanners and Cameras utility may not work though if something is not recognized.

My brother and sister just got an HP all in one for Christmas and I am not looking forward to installing that for them. :eek:

BMR777

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I downloaded cleanup utility and it did not work for this on #1. I was able to uninstall from computers 3 & 4. #3 is working a lot better now. It is still on add/remove for #1, but the computer seems to be working ok now. I just hate the thought that it is still there taking up space.

Thank you I will try your suggestion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.