Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a COMPAQ Presario desktop running XP with SP 2...A couple of years ago I purchased a set of "System Recovery" disks from COMPAQ. There are 8 disks total. There's a "hidden" trick to using the disks to completely wipe the HD and do a completely new install of the components. I did it once (with help from COMPAQ support) when I had some corrupt sectors on my HD. I need to do it again but can't seem to get the disks to cooperate. The "trick" has something to do with setting the BIOS to boot from CD-ROM and then, on reboot, holding down the "CNTRL & BACKSPACE" keys simultaneously. Anyone know EXACTLY how to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
Papa

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I would download something like kill disk, or boot and nuke. Do a
google free download, both of those programs do a fine job of
formatting.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello ,

please follow ( manic's ) advice for that process you mentioned is not as good as a utility as compaq thinks !!! or that you are lead to beleive !!!

i am a big user of HP/Compaq's products and have found that useing that process you will be doing it again in a couple of more years !!!

that process was found by a tech person that works for HP's help by phone support and is not reliable for it dosen't do a compleat job either it is just a easier step for them to tell you about so that they can get off the phone and to the next issue !!!

i just thought that you would like to know , a friend of mine works for a American based office for HP/Compaq

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.