Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
How to figure out which Android OS version is running, how to obtain OS upgrades, and what to do if I don’t want to wait for the carrier to push out an update.
The newer your phone is, the faster it will receive OS upgrades; Google’s Pixel phones will be the first to receive them. Those with older operating systems will have to jump through a few hoops first, or they may not be able to upgrade at all.

If no update is available, you should verify which Android version you have, since this can help you determine whether or not you’re eligible for one. This can usually be found in the About Phone section of the Settings menu on most smartphones.

If you want to get the latest OS as soon as it’s released, you may root your phone to have access to updates whenever you want. One of the numerous advantages of rooting your Android handset is this. You’ll also get access to features that aren’t currently accessible on unrooted Android phones and tablets.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The newer your phone is, the faster it will receive OS upgrades; Google’s Pixel phones will be the first to receive them. Those with older operating systems will have to jump through a few hoops first, or they may not be able to upgrade at all.

If no update is available, you should verify which Android version you have, since this can help you determine whether or not you’re eligible for one. This can usually be found in the About Phone section of the Settings menu on most smartphones.

If you want to get the latest OS as soon as it’s released, you may root your phone to have access to updates whenever you want. One of the numerous advantages of rooting your Android handset is this. You’ll also get access to features that aren’t currently accessible on unrooted Android phones and tablets.
Thank you for your response.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,615 Posts
One of the numerous advantages of rooting your Android handset is this. You’ll also get access to features that aren’t currently accessible on unrooted Android phones and tablets.
A significant disadvantage is there are a large number of applications that will refuse to run on a rooted phone. I just had a friend borrow my old Note4 for the second time to update a security system because the update app won't run on his rooted phones. Rooting an Android phone is not all peaches and cream.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,770 Posts
Rooting an Android phone without a very good reason (not getting ads is not one of them) to me is like flashing the bios when not needed on a computer. Either can brick the device.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,615 Posts
I really don't have a major ad issue with my phone, but I don't do tons of Internet stuff on it. I prefer a real computer with a keyboard, a couple of 28" screens, and a high quality sound system for listening. ;) I once rooted a phone, it was a spare that I figured I could tinker with. I didn't brick it, but I discovered you can't always go back... :)

· Registered
1 Posts
You can find your device's Android version number, security update level, and Google Play system level through the Settings app. The system will send you a notification if an update is available. You can also check for updates yourself.

· Registered
5 Posts
How to figure out which Android OS version is running, how to obtain OS upgrades, and what to do if I don’t want to wait for the carrier to push out an update.
The simple answer is that if your carrier hasn't put out a update yet and you want to keep your phone stock and not rooted then there is no update route for you. The version on your phone is built to that specific device. You can't just flash a newer copy from a different phone and have it work. Sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.